Nuvaring early bleeding

By Anonymous November 10, 2014 - 12:48am

I just started using the Nuvaring about 2 months ago, and so far I have liked it. But, I recently had unprotected sex, and the next day I started bleeding while my ring was still inserted. It was a few days since I was due to take it out, so I left it in but the bleeding continued - just real light, bright red bleeding. I took it out as scheduled and discovered that it had slipped down a little bit in my vagina, but somehow did not feel it, and it never fell out. I am concerned that I might have become pregnant because of this, is it possible or is it just very badly timed breakthrough bleeding? My period had pretty much continued as normal thus far, but my free week is nearly up so I'd just like to be sure...

Anytime birth control is not fitted correctly, pregnancy can be a risk so taking a test is a good idea. However, if it was about to come out soon and you were about to start your free week then your risk is very low. 

Nuvaring is very effective in birth control so just keep an eye out for slippage.