ovarian cysts related to appetite and weight gain?

By July 8, 2014 - 11:44am

I've recently (past six months) been diagnosed officially with ovarian cysts...so far the findings are that they are functional and fluid filled..I am seeing a specialist in a week or so because of my ongoing enlarging cysts, pain, back pain, fatigue, stomach tenderness, constipation and diarrhea, fatigue, mood swings, etc. To name a few..on top of it all I've gained a significant amount of weight and my appetite is out of control...there's very little specific hardened statements I have yet to come across regarding the issue of varying symptoms and weight gain unrelated to pcos. Can anyone out there point me In A Direction Of Help Or Answers As To Why I'd Have These Symptoms If The Cysts Aren't Pcos Related And I've Had All Sorts Of Tests Checking For Pregnancyx hormones , Thyroid Issues, ct scans etc...all but an mri. Sorry for the long winded post...thank you...

Hi aris 1207

Yes, ovarian cysts can lead to weight gain. Other symptoms (aside from pain)  include:

• Urinary discomfort associated with bladder pressure or irritation
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea

Your back pain is also a symptom. Since you are in a lot of pain and discomfort, a "watchful waiting" approach is not for you. Your symptoms are also an indication of ovarian cysts, not just PCOS. Your doctors should know this. 

Treatments for ovarian cysts include: 

Birth Control Pills

If you have a functional cyst, your doctor may prescribe birth control pills . The pills may prevent other cysts from developing during the "wait and see" period. If you get cysts often, birth control pills decrease the chance of new ones forming.

Pain Medication

If your cyst is causing a lot of discomfort, your doctor may prescribe pain medication.

Laparoscopic Surgery

Pelvic laparoscopy may be recommended to remove a cyst if it:

• Grows larger or reaches a size greater than two inches
  • Has some solid material in it, or other features
  • Causes persistent or worsening symptoms
  • Lasts longer than two or three menstrual cycles
  • Disrupts blood flow

In rare cases, a cyst may become twisted. This can cut off its own blood supply, causing:

• Severe abdominal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Fever

Read lots more here:

Talk to your doctor about these treatment options, you should be living with this kind of discomfort. 

Has this helped?

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide