Pain in left breast/ armpit and around close to my back

By Anonymous November 23, 2015 - 11:55am

I have been having some pain and discomfort in my left breast. It kind of just feels heavy and uncomfortable. But on my left side a few inches back in my side almost closer to my back I have an e lot of pain. It feels better when wearing a bra, and it definitely worsens with my period but I feel it all month. I have been told o have fibrocystic breasts and I suppose this could be that, however it hasn't ever been this bad and it just seems worse these last 2 months or so. I am 42 years old. My last Mammagram was in December of last year. They did a recall on me and did the 3D Mammagram and said all was clear - how we you can't see my side in a Mammagram. I wish they would have done a sonogram for me. I see my GYN in a couple weeks and will ask him and I am sure he will recommend I get another mammo. But... When I mentioned it there they just want to give you a piece of paper and tell you to lay off caffeine and take vitamin E. I have tried all of that but it doesn't help and I don't want to take Advil every day.

Of course my mind goes crazy and I am convinced it's something more serious. If it still is the fibrocystic breasts does the pain ever subside. It seems to have worsened since I learned I have them.
Any advice or information would be helpful. Hoping it's not something serious. I have 4 kids and an amazing husband and I want to be able to take care of them. Thanks for reading and for any help.

Thanks for writing to us and I know the uncertainty of waiting for exams and test-results. It can consume a person.

Fibrocystic breast condition is defined by National Institute of Health as lumpiness and discomfort in one or both breasts. Even though this condition is benign, it does have its complications. For instance, some women develop only mild pain and swelling premenstrually, while others have constant pain along with many nodular areas in their breasts.

A combination of reactions causes this condition. In the breast, hormones in the glandular tissue stimulates growth, activates blood vessels, cell metabolism and supporting tissue. Of course, all of this causes the breast to feel full, especially right before the cycle begins. Normally, these increased breast cells experience a “cell death,” called apoptosis. When the cells die, they leave fragments. It is these fragments and subsequent inflammation that damages the ducts and lobules of the glandular tissue.

Your doctor can tell you more when you talk to him about treatment. Wear a bra all the time if it helps, reduce salt and caffeine in your diet and taking a pain med is recommended but I understand you don't want that. A hot or cold compress on your worst days will also help.

Pain with fibrocystic breasts often subsides after menopause which could be 10 years away for you. Please let us know what your doctor says.

Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide