Period for 18 days while breastfeeding

By December 17, 2014 - 7:36am

Hi I'm 26 and currently breastfeeding my 19mo old.i normally have a period once every two months except the past two months I've had one each month.my daughter seems to not nurse as much and I know breastfeeding can cause irregular periods.ive never bled this long so I'm getting worried.its not heavy but it's more than just light spotting.my husband just left for 5months and I think it's happening bc the stress of taking care of two kids by myself.(he's military and I started this period the day after he left)everyone is saying its normal with breastfeeding and not to worry unless it lasts more then 30days.anyone ever had this happen WHILE breastfeeding?what did your dr do/say??

Hello Bilie Jo,

Welcome to the EmpowHER community. I can appreciate how stressful it must be for you, with your husband in the military and deployed, while caring for two young children alone.

I am concerned that you have continue to have light vaginal spotting for 18 days. For peace of mind, call your gynecologist/obstetrician and report this. Your doctor can tell you if this is normal while breastfeeding.

My youngest child is 19 years old, and I breast fed all three of them. Honestly, I do not remember having a prolonged period.