Periods during pregnancy?

I have read some posts online of women saying they experienced normal periods throughout their pregnancy. But on the other hand there are information that having a period means you are not pregnant since its the shredding of the uterus lining.

Also another related topics is implantation bleeding, which I've read lasts only a day (is very light and not as heavy as periods).

I've only recently started beig sexually active and use a just condom (not on BC). So all this contradictory information confuses.

What I need to be clear about is whether I should just wait each month for my periods to start, or take a HPT too even if i get my periods, just to be sure?

Hi Anya231

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER with your concerns!

You will read all sorts of information on everything under the sun on the Internet. From what causes cancer to what cures depression - there will always be a plethora of opinions and not everyone will agree. This is the same with any topic, including periods. So one way or the other, you're going to read and learn of different opinions and experiences on the same topics.

Some women do bleed in pregnancy but it's not a menstrual period since that sheds the uterine lining which means a baby would also be lost. Maybe the bleeding happens every month and it seems like a period but it isn't.

Condoms are about 98% effective when used correctly. There is no need to take pregnancy tests on a monthly basis when you have your period, you need to trust in your birth control or change to one you're more comfortable with. Otherwise you'll end up paranoid.

If you are still nervous, you may not be ready for sex yet.

For more information on the many types of birth control options as well as the pros and cons, we have two excellent articles. Click here: