sex before a cervical cancer vaccine?

i had sex and then the next day i had my first cervical cancer jab and i have been fine. will the jab not work because i had sex a day before the jab?? or could i have more of a chance of getting cervical cancer?? what will happen to me??

Hi anonymous,

There are a series of three shots that are given for the HPV virus. The series is over a six month duration. You should wait until the series is completed before having sex although there is not enough research at this time to know for sure. The research is still unavailable.

yes thank you

Do you mean how long one should wait before having sex for the first time? Since the vaccination is given in three doses over a period of six months, it's probably best to wait until you've had all three doses.

The vaccination is for the following strains of HPV - 6, 11, 16 and 18. Proponents of the vaccination advise already sexually active women (under 26) to get the shots anyway as they may not have been exposed to these particular strains.

Does this information help you?

Hi again Anon-

You may have no symptoms at all. Most women with HPV have no symptoms. Other get genital warts or for many women, they get an "abnormal" pap test.

An HPV test is an option for you (this is not the same as a pap test) to see if you have HPV in your system. It's a very prevalent sexually transmitted disease so you may have it, although you could certainly be free of it also. A pap test is also a good idea. Have you had one before? Don't get too worried, you may be completely free of HPV but any sexually active young female should have annual paps - at least in the beginning. Then if your paps are consistently clear and you are in a monogamous relationship (and older) many doctors think a pap every 2-3 of years should suffice. It all depends on your age, your history of pap test results and whether you have one partner only, or have more than one partner over a period of time.

I hope this helps you!

hey do you know how long you have too wait till you can have sex after your first jab?x

Dear Anon

Thanks for your question, it's an important and interesting one I'm not completely clear on if you mean having sex in general, or sex for the first time.

The physical act of having sex has no effect on getting the vaccination. Is that your question?

Or are you asking if it's better to remain a virgin until you get the vaccination - not have sex at all? I think your question is stemming from the fact that sexually active persons may not be protected again the various strains that the vaccination protects against.

A person who has had no sexual contact whatsoever is the best candidate for the HPV vaccine because they have not been exposed to the virus at all. Since up to 80% of sexually active woman have been exposed to one or more strains of the virus, the vaccination is less likely to be effective. This is why young preteens and teenagers (ages 12-14) are encouraged to get the vaccination - it's assumed (not always correctly) they are virgins, and also have had no genital contact with another person.

So since you had sex right before, you may have exposed yourself to a strain of HPV before taking the vaccination, therefore it may not be effective for you.

I hope this answers your question. If not, let me know and I'll help you more!

thank you for your help. i really appreciate it. and i mean in my question i have had sex more than once and then i had sex and the next day i had my injection. but it has helped me with what you are saying. so if i have HPV how will i no like is there any symptoms?

Cervical Cancer

Cervical Cancer Guide