Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Sharp burning pain in my nipple/ now breast

By sharona60

I awoke this morning with sharp burning pain in my nipple and it has continued all day long. It isn't like the swelling or heaviness or ache of menstrual pain. Nor is it like the pains in the breast that I've experienced before and been told was due to caffiene. I don't consume very much caffiene and am only about 20 pounds overweight. My breast looks the same, I just keep getting this jabbing pain right in the tip of the nipple. If I hold my breast in my hand, it seems to ease up if not stop. If I let go or bend over, it is really bad again. I am 48 years old and had my only child at age 40. Most importantly, I can't afford and do not have health insurance so no doctor will see me. I'm kind of scared but trying not to be. I don't feel a lump or anything and no discoloration.

Actually, I wrote all of this yesterday and now today I am experiencing the pains in the left side of my breast instead of my nipple. Maybe it is just caffiene related. I hope so. Any info would be appreciated.

Anonymous

I am 66, have been taking bio-identical hormones for 10+ years, just started having the same thing - burning like sensation in nipple area. Thoughts?

atvgirl78

Hi, I am new to this site but I was watching a movie tonight & then something hit me in my nipples burning on fire like there was a blow torch burning them off!! It came on strong & kept getting worse to the point I was in tears! I noticed that I was suddenly cold all over & I couldn't feel the tops of my feet & I had on very thick warm socks but my feet had NO COLOR to them like the blood flow was cut off! I looked at my nipples & they were very warm & a bluish purple color. I called my mother & told her what was going on & we then remembered back when I was in the hospital this summer from Liver damage, I was being treated for Raynaud's Syndrome & for some reason the doctors there took me off that particular medication. I do believe this is a flare up & I'm calling my doctor first thing in the morning! I encourage ALL WOMEN you have experienced BREAST PAIN, ESPECIALLY BURNING IN THE NIPPLES OR COLOR CHANGE IN THEM, PLEASE RESEARCH (GOOGLE) RAYNAUD'S PHENOMENON!!! Most people are unaware of this! I am 33 yrs. old & have had a hysterectomy but still have my ovaries. This Raynaud's causes the blood vessels to SPASM & your fingers, toes, ears, lips, nipples will start to tingle, burn & even lots of times turn blue just like wrapping string around your finger really tight cutting off circulation. It's like being frost bit in worse cases & cold sensitive! Cold & stress brings it on & most times underlying issues like Lupus!! Please everyone READ UP ON THIS & TALK IT OVER WITH YOUR DOCTOR!!! Thanks, Shawnta'

Anonymous

I originally posted May 23, 2011. Does anyone have a diagnosis yet? My doctor is stumped. In some bloodwork it did show my prolactin is elevated so he is sending me to an endocrinologist, but that would not cause the symptom of the burn I have from deep beneath my nipple out to the end of my nipple of my left breast. I am 45. I have no other symptoms whatsoever. The burning sensation goes rapidly from 0-10 and lasts 15 seconds and comes when I hug, hold a grandbaby, carry groceries, lay on my side too far, cross my arms. It's like putting my nipple to a stove burner and not being able to pull away. Ultrasound was normal, mammogram normal, breast tissue feels soft no cancer, pain when the doctor presses or squeezes behind areola. I took 7 days of cephalexin and now on 10 days of doxycycline. He is also referring me to a general surgeon. I had a partial hysterectomy at 39. I still have my ovaries.

MY DIAGNOSIS:
My primary care Doctor referred me to a very renowned breast surgeon and an endocrinologist. The breast surgeon told me it was hormones. The endocrinologist concurred. Both cautioned to not mess with Mother Nature by taking hormone supplements. He said the burning would stop when I hit menopause. Until then I would have to endure. About 2 months later, the pain just stopped. I have been pain free since about July.

Glad to hear that you are pain-free, but the answer is definitely not wait for menopause as this just started happening to me 2 months ago and I am 2 years past my last period. If you have any further information from your doctor, please post. Thanks.

Anonymous

I have the same problem as all of you ladies here. I am 44 and I woke up with sharp pain in my left breast centered on the nipple, but inside. It has been intermittent all day and is relieved when I apply pressure to the breast. I have never had pain like this before. No discharge, discoloration, or lumps. Had mastitis once when I was breast feeding, but this is different. I am overweight by 30lbs, but I am a tall women. I drink woo much coffee probably -2 cups a day. I will be going to the doctor, but I would love to hear what others have discovered. Thank Tracyb

Anonymous

I would be interestedin whatyour doctor said. I have the same problem. On and off now for 3 years. I ahve an appointment with a doc tomorrow as this is not normal and I shouldn't have to endure it and it isn't normal. I am only 40 though. there is not any info on line! frustrating with all the breast awareness now days.

Anonymous

It is really not uncommon to have milk that still comes out of your nipple after you have a child, even years later but if you are experiencing pain, I would certainly contact your physician.

Please keep us updated.

Missie

Anonymous

im experiencing pain in the right boob. like a shooting pain, have no lumps or change in the boobs other then then pain, if i sqeeze the boob i can still get some breast milk out and my child in nearly 2 now.
i can get milk out of the crown and the actually nipple apart from 1 side of the crown which is hurting .. what could b ethe cause of that?

Anonymous

I have the same thing and im 48...i dont have insurance eather..but its scarey..i havent had a mammogram but once in and around 1998...i have gained weight i was 97 lbs back in 2003 then i got happt lol..and gained some weight now im 125..5 ft tall..no discharge eather...some times its under my arm , sometimes anywhere under my ar is always sore ...oh yeah i tlaked to a dr back in 1989 and they said its probably caffee related ..so i have my coffee in the mornings like a two 6 oz cups and water most of the day im a water drinking freak ..what do you think ? ..thanks Annette