Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Sharp burning pain in my nipple/ now breast

By sharona60

I awoke this morning with sharp burning pain in my nipple and it has continued all day long. It isn't like the swelling or heaviness or ache of menstrual pain. Nor is it like the pains in the breast that I've experienced before and been told was due to caffiene. I don't consume very much caffiene and am only about 20 pounds overweight. My breast looks the same, I just keep getting this jabbing pain right in the tip of the nipple. If I hold my breast in my hand, it seems to ease up if not stop. If I let go or bend over, it is really bad again. I am 48 years old and had my only child at age 40. Most importantly, I can't afford and do not have health insurance so no doctor will see me. I'm kind of scared but trying not to be. I don't feel a lump or anything and no discoloration.

Actually, I wrote all of this yesterday and now today I am experiencing the pains in the left side of my breast instead of my nipple. Maybe it is just caffiene related. I hope so. Any info would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Hello "All,"
I have had that same burning, nipple pain off and on for forty years. I went through all kinds of medical tests, and nothing was found. My doctor decided that it was due to something consumed (food or drink-maybe caffine) that stimulated the mammary gland. The mammary gland on that breast may be more sensitive for some unknown reason. I quit being concerned about it. I'm 66 and still alive and healthy. Hope this helps someone...

Janie Teague-Urbach (reply to Anonymous)

Thank you so much for writing that. I am 65 and i just started having a sharp pain on again and off again in my left nipple. No pus so far and no other symptoms..though someimes that breast itches. Sometimes it seems to go away, or sometimes just subsides so that i only feel it if something rubs it. Anyway, it was heartening to hear that someone has these symptoms and it's not NECESSARILY bad. If i get any leaking or other symptoms, or it gets worse, I'll go get checked. Recently had a good mammogram.

Anonymous (reply to Janie Teague-Urbach)

Hi Janie...a year later, did anything transpire from your sharp nipple pain? I'm 60 and just started having this, left side as well. Just curious if it ever led to anything serious or if it went away. I don't have a doctor I trust, so posting my inquiry here is one step either way. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Thank you Anonymous, for taking time to write your reply. It's very easy to panic at anything even slightly suspicious with our breasts given the (sometimes but sometimes not warranted) hysteria around breast cancer. I am 40 and I do have a small burning sensation on my nipple, but even though it's sent me here .. innately I feel it's nothing serious ... perhaps more serious is the fear that it invokes.
Anyhow it was heartening to read your reply here .... you didn't have to write it, but you did and I'm glad. I hope all is still well with you - and that whatever my issue is will resolve itself too .... I wouldn't know how else to be any healthier anyhow, I live the best I know how to my (well researched)
ability.
Blessings,
Michelle :)

Thanks, this is very reassuring.

Anonymous

hi my name is miceala. i have been suffering with the same thing as sharon for 1 &half months now....but the only difference is i am only 19.....any advice?

Hi. I'm 55 and my periods stopped 2 years ago, but the hot flashes continue. 2 months ago I suddenly got a sharp burning/stinging in my left nipple. It's nowhere else on the breast. It has continued everyday since, mostly 24 hours a day, with occasional time off (for good behavior, I guess!). My doctor sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound, both normal. He has no idea, and this is Lahey Clinic! It is very uncomfortable. I haven't found anything that makes it better, and would appreciate any suggestions. It is very comforting to find out that there are others out there that have experienced this.

lookingforanswers

Finally I have found a site where women are describing the pain I have! For the past several months, I have been experiencing sharp stabbing pain in my left breast, sometimes into my nipple. When the pain is the worst, or after hot showers or compresses, I also notice a white spot on my nipple. Lately the pain occurs every day. I have learned to treat it with Tylenol and an ice pack in my bra. (I'm not sure if it's the ice or the pressure that actually helps - I know some of you said pressure relieved your pain too!) I have been to the dr. twice about it. I have no lumps and have been tested for infection (none found). I am breastfeeding (he is 11 mo) and the dr. thinks it may be muscle spasms due to that, but I'm not so sure about that. I have a strong history of breast cancer and am wondering if I should see an oncologist. I am 38 and have recently started having my period again since the baby was born...actually I got my period back and these pains started about the same month. Could it be related? Thanks!

Anonymous (reply to lookingforanswers)

Update - I've weaned my little guy and the pain has stopped altogether. Weirdly, it seemed to correspond with when my body would start making milk again after nursing him. I never found any concrete answers, but am so glad it stopped. I hope the rest of you can get some relief!!

Anonymous

I am 66, have been taking bio-identical hormones for 10+ years, just started having the same thing - burning like sensation in nipple area. Thoughts?

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :