ask: Should adults get their tonsils removed?

I've heard more than once that adults who have frequent illnesses (like colds and infections) may want to think about getting their tonsils removed. Is there any validity to this?

Anonymous

I am 47 years old I had mine removed This past Friday June 26th, I had mine removed due to repeat infections, strep and sleep apnea. I had shoulder surgery last year at this time and I had heard about how painful that is. I would gladly have shoulder surgery again over a tonsillectomy. The pain is indescribable, today the throat pain is slightly better but I have a horrible left earache. Because of my age it was not an outpatient procedure I stayed the first night in the hospital during which time they gave me IV antibiotics and Decadron ( steroids) which causes severe insomnia. I literally did not sleep the entire night. The next night my throat and Uvula were so swollen I was afraid that if I fell asleep I would die, and managed to nap for and hour sitting completely upright.
If you are a person who is prone to anxiety don't do it. I am not an anxious person, but it gave me a panic attack in regards to breathing and I actually ran outside in my underpants because I felt as if I could breathe better outside. I do recommend having a humidifier in whichever room you plan on resting in. It is too early to tell if the pain and suffering will be worth it, but I will repost later.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I'm so sorry Anon.

I should have had mine out as a child but won't do it now - too many stories about the long lasting pain.

I hope this is not the case with us - please update us when you feel better.

Anonymous

Hi everyone
I have read trough the comments im 22 and having trouble with my tonsils for a few years now every winter they get swollen and is very uncomfortable i would just like to know if it is worth it to remove them or just to stick it out?

I just had my tonsils removed on may 11 2015, it is the most excruciatingly painful thing ever. I also did rhinoplasty which didn't help. here's my answer to your question, don't do it. It's not worth the pain also remember were adults so our healing process is not as fast as kids. It's now may 14 and I haven't been able to eat or drink. I lost 10 lbs. Unless they hurt then take em out

Thank you for your advice, Anon

While everyone is different and responds differently, I have also heard that it is excruciating for an adult, with minimal benefits. 

However, it has only been a few days for you (it probably feels like months - pain does that to you) so hopefully you will feel a lot better soon. For every horror story, many adults do just fine. 

Please keep us posted on how you are doing, ok? 

Anonymous

I had mine removed at 30 and it was the most miserable experience of my life. I would highly advice against having them removed at such an old age unless they are truly detrimental to her health. At 65 I would personally take strep 7 days a week (hell, two weeks a year) over the recovery that results from a tonsillectomy. The pain becomes exponentially greater over the years and just at 30 I can assure you there was no ice cream or Popsicles in sight for a good 2 weeks.

Thanks for telling us your story - wow - it sounds like it was excruciating. 

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that and thank you for letting us and our readers know your experience. The bad, as well as the good, is really important to know. Are you working with your doctors to stop the pain now?

I think he was talking about 35 years ago.

Anonymous

I have a question. Is it recommendable for and adult 65+ to have their tonsils removed. My sister' doctor want to remove her tonsils but i don't want because she is very old to have it removed.

Anonymous

interesting thanks

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :