ask: Should adults get their tonsils removed?

I've heard more than once that adults who have frequent illnesses (like colds and infections) may want to think about getting their tonsils removed. Is there any validity to this?

I had my tonsils removed on the 5th of June at the Royal London Hospital, It was an afternoon op and I was too drugged to be discharged to be sent home. I was discharged the following morning with painkillers but NO antibiotics. Day 2-3 were not so bad but I was constipated as I was on codine. Day 4 had the most terrifying experience ever. At about 4.30pm i had a bleed from the left side of the throat. Blood was literally gushing out from my mouth and going down into my stomach. Went to the A&E by ambulance and was kept in the resus room till 11pm when it was time for my turn to go in for ANOTHER op to stop the bleeding. My bleeding had not stopped by then and blood pressure was high and heart beating at 150. At 10.30 i eventually passed out after my heart beat went upto 170. That is when they decided I need to go into surgery and I was now a priority. All this time i was not on top of their list as priority as there had been 2 other patients bought in with severe injuries (one that decided to jump infront of a train and the other had been stabbed three times).

Anyhow I was taken into surgery at 11pm and was in the recovery room at around 1.30am when I started coming back round. the surgeon came and explained he could not stop the bleed by burning the area so had to tie a knot on the vein. I was discharged from hospital that evening with antibiotics and tramodine which I found being a really effective pain killer. I am 3 weeks post my initial op and 2 & a half week since the second op and have had no bleed since.
The pain was worst during days 6-12. Now the pain is near enough gone however at times i feel food does get stuck where my tonsils were and saliva feels wierd to swallow. Food does not taste the the same and I am hoping this changes soon. Over the past 3 weeks I have lost 10kg on the positive side.

Sorry for the long essay.

I am 47 years old I had mine removed This past Friday June 26th, I had mine removed due to repeat infections, strep and sleep apnea. I had shoulder surgery last year at this time and I had heard about how painful that is. I would gladly have shoulder surgery again over a tonsillectomy. The pain is indescribable, today the throat pain is slightly better but I have a horrible left earache. Because of my age it was not an outpatient procedure I stayed the first night in the hospital during which time they gave me IV antibiotics and Decadron ( steroids) which causes severe insomnia. I literally did not sleep the entire night. The next night my throat and Uvula were so swollen I was afraid that if I fell asleep I would die, and managed to nap for and hour sitting completely upright.
If you are a person who is prone to anxiety don't do it. I am not an anxious person, but it gave me a panic attack in regards to breathing and I actually ran outside in my underpants because I felt as if I could breathe better outside. I do recommend having a humidifier in whichever room you plan on resting in. It is too early to tell if the pain and suffering will be worth it, but I will repost later.

Did you have the normal procedure or did you have laser surgery? I need to have my tonsils out and am 35 and quite frightened at the forecast for recovery. I have heard that laser surgery is less sin aside and painful but don't know how frequently that is used.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

I'm so sorry Anon.

I should have had mine out as a child but won't do it now - too many stories about the long lasting pain.

I hope this is not the case with us - please update us when you feel better.

Hi everyone
I have read trough the comments im 22 and having trouble with my tonsils for a few years now every winter they get swollen and is very uncomfortable i would just like to know if it is worth it to remove them or just to stick it out?

I just had my tonsils removed on may 11 2015, it is the most excruciatingly painful thing ever. I also did rhinoplasty which didn't help. here's my answer to your question, don't do it. It's not worth the pain also remember were adults so our healing process is not as fast as kids. It's now may 14 and I haven't been able to eat or drink. I lost 10 lbs. Unless they hurt then take em out

Thank you for your advice, Anon

While everyone is different and responds differently, I have also heard that it is excruciating for an adult, with minimal benefits. 

However, it has only been a few days for you (it probably feels like months - pain does that to you) so hopefully you will feel a lot better soon. For every horror story, many adults do just fine. 

Please keep us posted on how you are doing, ok? 

I had mine removed at 30 and it was the most miserable experience of my life. I would highly advice against having them removed at such an old age unless they are truly detrimental to her health. At 65 I would personally take strep 7 days a week (hell, two weeks a year) over the recovery that results from a tonsillectomy. The pain becomes exponentially greater over the years and just at 30 I can assure you there was no ice cream or Popsicles in sight for a good 2 weeks.

Thanks for telling us your story - wow - it sounds like it was excruciating. 

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that and thank you for letting us and our readers know your experience. The bad, as well as the good, is really important to know. Are you working with your doctors to stop the pain now?

I think he was talking about 35 years ago.

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :