shuch I have a surgery?

I have trageminal newralgia on and off for the past 20 years- I have told to have Microvascular Decompresion surgery- what do you think about this?

For the benefit of our readers, trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is a disorder of the trigeminal nerve (fifth cranial nerve) that causes severe, shooting pain along one side of the face. It senses touch, pain, pressure, and temperature. It also helps make saliva and tears.

In TN, pain usually lasts for a few seconds and may come and go for days, weeks, or months. It may go into remission or stop completely for months or years. Over time, though, the attacks usually become more frequent and more severe. Attacks can be brought on by chewing, washing, shaving, touching, or even a breeze on the face.

Microvascular decompression – is when a surgeon makes a small cut behind the ear, inserts an operative microscope and then moves blood vessels away from the trigeminal nerves and places a cushion in between them to stop the problem re-occurring. This is the most effective form of treatment and most patients have immediate relief from pain after their surgery; however, some patient's symptoms re-occur. But overall, 75 percent of patients were still pain-free five years later.

Something to consider is that there is a small risk of having a stroke after this surgery, but your neurologist should be able to discuss with you whether you are a suitable candidate for this operation.

I suggest to discuss all the pros and cons with your doctor and make an informed decision. I know it's not easy to do. 

Please stay in touch with us! 

Trigeminal Neuralgia

Trigeminal Neuralgia Guide