By Anonymous April 22, 2010 - 9:32am

I'm 23 years old. I'm in the middle of my cycle and i have spotting for the past two days. I never had any spotting before, so it freaks me out. I had sex with my boyfriend at the end of march, and i already have my period after that. Could it be implantation bleeding? Can u get pregnant and still have your period? Is it normal to suddenly have spotting? Thanks.

If you have had a period AFTER having sex, and have no had sex since, then you can't be pregnant, nor could it be implantation bleeding.

Midcycle spotting is actually pretty normal (heavy bleeding is not). In fact, one in three women experience it at one time or another. It could be due to the estrogen in your body, your thyroid function or even stress.

I would not be concerned if this has happened just once (although some women experience it a lot and there is no cause for concern) but if it continues to happen, talk to your doctor about it to ease your mind.

I have a few questions for you-
Are you on birth control?
Do you have regular pap tests and/or a HPV test?
Is sex ever painful for you?

An update on these questions would be great so that we can help you further!