spotting for days after period

By September 1, 2014 - 2:28pm

I started taking birth control two days after my period so I took the first two pills n continued taking one each day normally my period is 7 days 5 days heavy 2 days very light but by day 7 I was continuing to spot so far I have been spotting for 5 extra days in total 12 days of bleeding is this normal?

Hi babygirl77

Why did you start the pill two days after your period and take two pills at once? Many birth control pills have different protocol but this is unusual. Did you forget a pill? 

Have you just started the Pill? 

Some women spot and have irregular bleeding when they first go on the Pill - this may be the case with you. 

Give yourself another month or two to see if you become more regular (you should) and if, three months into taking the Pill, you are still bleeding like this, consider another method of birth control.