stable Bilateral pubic rami fractures from fall & possibly pregnant

I fell off a 3rd floor balcony 3 weeks ago and broke my pelvis. I went to the emergency room and they found that I had stable fractures. I don't have a regular doctor or insurance. I also might be pregnant--it would be the first month, but my boyfriend and I were trying before this accident, because I'm 39 years old. I'm concerned that if I am pregnant the pelvic bones won't heal properly and/or the baby might not get enough nutrients. If I'm not pregnant, how long should I wait before we try? I don't have many years left and it would be my first pregnancy.

Thanks for your post and welcome!

I'm so sorry about your accident - three floors is an enormous height to fall from, you're lucky you weren't very seriously hurt or even killed. I hope you heal well and quickly.

Before you worry about anything, you need to take a pregnancy test.  Knowing whether you are pregnant or not will make all the difference at least for now. You can test early at about 3 days before your period is due.If you are pregnant, you will be high risk anyway, due to being 39 (even if you are generally very healthy) but also due to your fractures. Even if you don't have insurance, you will need pre-natal and delivery care so if you need to apply for Medicaid or take out a loan, that is something you will need to check into now. If you find out you are not pregnant, hold off on getting pregnant until you know more.

As far as your fractures, unfortunately your doctors are going to have to advise you on that. Obviously, a strong pelvis is important for pregnancy as it could interfere with your pregnancy and also - your delivery. A good idea is to contact the doctor who treated you at the ER (his/her name will be on your discharge paperwork) and ask for advice. Stable fractures often need rest for up to 6 weeks but can heal quite quickly so this is good news. However, complications can occur from any kind of fracture. Are you on a rest order at the moment?

Anon, what were you told about your healing time? Are you going to need physical therapy? I am sure you have a follow-up, do you know when that is?

Dear Susan,
Thanks so much for your response. Unfortunately, because I have no insurance the hospital where I received emergency care refused to see me for follow-up care, even though the discharge papers instructed me to have a follow-up appointment the next week. I go to a low income clinic and made an appointment there, but they referred me to an orthopedic doctor and that appointment is in 2 weeks. At that point it will have been 5 weeks since the injury. I have been trying to determine what I should do in terms of exercise. Before the injury I was running about 3-5 miles a day, and now I can already feel my muscles deteriorating! I was in a wheelchair for the first week, then I used a walker for a week. Now, I walk, but not far and not without pain. I'm taking ibuprofen for pain. I want to start exercising again, but I'm not sure what I should do and what pain is good versus bad.

I'm waiting a few more days before taking a pregnancy test to be sure. I have been reading as much as I can online, but there isn't much information about physical therapy for this type of injury, and I found nothing that addressed the issue of being pregnant and recovering from a pelvic fracture (most posts discussed complications from fractures before the pregnancy, but not experiencing both at the same time). Additionally, I have taken all kinds of medication because of the fracture, and that concerns me too.

Hi again Naomi

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time getting to see doctors - it's so frustrating to me that people are against universal healthcare that would give EVERYONE access to healthcare at a free or reasonable cost.Now you are left in limbo which is so wrong.

Don't worry too much about medications since if you are pregnant and haven't skipped a period yet, something like ibuprofen won't hurt (don't take Tylenol, it's not safe in pregnancy) a pregnancy and you should be fine.

Naomi, I know it's hard to not exercise when you are used to doing so (I'm an amateur competitive tennis player so I know what it's like to have to stay off the court due to illness/injury - it's an awful feeling) but please don't . You could do more injury and set yourself back even more. Many people are advised 6 weeks of rest after a fracture like this so you are within that time frame. I'm really sorry you have to wait another two weeks but I think under your circumstances you may have to. The time will pass, I promise! In the meantime, I really think you need to stay away from exercise and take that pregnancy as soon as you can.

Will you keep us posted as to how you progress?

Pelvic Fracture