Is staring at my computer screen all day during work bad for my eyes?

By HERWriter Blogger July 12, 2014 - 10:23am

I mostly work off my computer while at work during the day. All this staring at my computer screen makes me worried that I may strain my eyes. How often should I step away from my computer screen and give my eyes a break to prevent any possible vision problems?

HERWriter Blogger

Great advice, Susan! I'm  working off my laptop most of the time during the day and worry that it will cause eye strain and other eye problems later in life. 

I'll try resting my eyes every now and then, and pushing my screen a little further away from my eyes. Thanks for the tips! :)

Hi Erin

Thanks for this question! 

Staring at anything for too long can cause eye strain. Added to this the pop-ups and colored screens we are used to will definitely contribute to tired eyes.

Rest your eyes from the computer as often as you can. Don't use your phone or computer for personal use when at work and resist the temptation to check for messages every 30 seconds! A lot of eye strain can come from personal use of our electronics and our addiction to that. 

Have your screen at least 20 inches from your face and check your light - is it good? Sit by natural light or use a lamp if not. Keep your screens really clean so you don't need to squint past the grubbiness! 

Here is a great article on how to "screen-proof your eyes"! 

Let me know what you think! 

Vision Problems

Vision Problems Guide