Is switching brands of birth control safe? Is the IUD safe?

By October 3, 2012 - 12:17pm

I just wrote a Share about my pharmacy changing my birth control brand this morning without consulting me. I am not happy about my pharmacy making this decision about my health without my say so it has lead me to two questions.
1. Is switching brands of birth control ok? I went from Avianne to a generic brand that supposedly has the same level of hormones and same dosage but could trigger side effects like weight gain and acne.
2. How safe is the IUD? I have been considering this for some time and my experience this morning has really showed me that I want to pursue this seriously.

Background: I am 21 years old and have been on birth control for a year and a half.

Hi lexnahn

I answered your first question on your other post; almost all birth control pills have a weight gain warning and the pharmacist is just doing his job by letting you know about side effects when you change brands - the same thing they do when anyone changes brands or goes generic.

As far as the IUD is concerned, this is highly subjective. Some women love it, some don't. Side effects, again, will be discussed with you by your doctor and she and you can decide what's best. Here is a guide for you in terms of birth control options: http://www.empowher.com/reproductive-system/content/birth-control-what-works-what-doesn-t-and-what-s-best-you