Is there possibility of getting pregnant now?

By August 10, 2010 - 5:28am

I'm having irregular periods for the last few months. I had my periods on April 21, then again on June 21, from then till date I did not have my periods. My husband and me are planning for a baby, so we started to try for that from the 5th day of my last period. I did a urine test after 12 days from my last expected date of period, but the report was negative. Doctor prescribed me Folvite for a week and asked for a urine test after that. I am quite tensed about the report, because I really want a child now. Please help.

Hi Dia

Thanks for your update!

Your doctor may have given you the folic acid supplement to make sure you have it in your body once you get pregnant but you should check with him on this.

Unfortunately, some women go from regular to irregular and back again for any number of reasons.

What you are doing now is a good thing: having sex most of the month, after your period and continuing on till at least the 20th of the month will help you to not miss ovulation. This does not mean you will get pregnant, but at least you will not miss your window of opportunity.

If you have been trying to get pregnant for less than two months. Try not to stress yourself about testing (12 days before your period is far to early to test, you may only be ovulating around that time) just yet. As Alison said, if you are under the age of 35, you will need to give yourself a good year until a doctor will see you about possible fertility issues.

I know you have your heart set on having a baby and I don't blame you! But just because you want to be pregnant right now, does not mean your body can follow suit. Give it time and try not to get upset if you don't get pregnant right away. For some women, it happens almost straight away - for many more it can take 6 months to a year.

Keep us posted and I hope the next few months to a year see you pregnant and glowing!

Hi Susan,
Thanks for your help. Now I won't be upset if I don't get pregnant. At least I'm on the right track towards my pregnancy.

(reply to Dia)

Hi Dia,
You sound like you are on the right track! Be sure to ask your doctor a lot of questions; if you are prescribed a medication...ask why!

My first question for your doctor (or, your nurse's doctor on the phone): should you continue on Folvite, or only take prenatal vitamins?

Best of luck!

Hi Dia,
Folvite is folic acid, which will not help you conceive. If you are able to conceive, folic acid is essential in helping to prevent birth defects.

Do you know why your doctor prescribed this? Did you have a blood test that showed you were deficient in folic acid? Are you taking prenatal vitamins as well? Do you eat a healthy diet?

Sorry for all of the questions, but how long have you been trying to conceive? It takes couples up to 12 months to conceive, as with every cycle you have "only" a 20% chance of becoming pregnant. I can explain this more in-depth if you are curious or would like more information on the conception process.

Lastly, have you always had irregular or missed periods?

(reply to Alison Beaver)

Hi Alison,
I don't know why doctor prescribed me Folvite. I told doctor that I did urine test after 12 days passed from my last expected date of period and the result was negative and also mentioned that we are trying for a child. Neither I had any blood test for folic acid, nor do I take any prenatal vitamins, but of course I have a healthy diet.

Well I've been trying to conceive from the 5th day of my last period,i.e,26th of June. Lastly, I used to have irregular periods before my marriage, but after that my periods became regular. All of a sudden after April this year it has again become irregular.

I am really tensed about my pregnancy. Please help.