Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide

ask: is there a sinus cavity at the base of your skull?

By chriscourt2

I have a knot that is VERY sensitive to the touch on the left side of the base of my skull. There is nothing on my scalp, so I know that it is internal. It burns and my scalp tingles in that area almost making my scalp itch, but I cant touch it. I have recently been sick with a sinus infection and was told I may have an infection in my sinuses on the back of my head. It is really painful.

Anonymous

I have had pain in the back of my head for 12 mths.i have been to 4 dr and have had 4 diffrent diagnosis and given 4 diffrent medication none of them have worked.i went back to my gp and said that I can not stand the pain and the other symptoms ie dizziness heavey head unable to sleep because the pain was so bad.my gp gave me amoxicillin clavulanic acid and with in four days I had no pain and felt great I finished the tablets and thought I was better but it has all come back I am so upset by this I need help I dont think I can cope again with the pain and heavey head dizzy no sleep please help. Jo

Hi I've just read your post and can sympathise totally I've had a sinus problem for about 30 years and at present I am going through a particularly bad bout, but next week I'm am going into hospital for a sinus operation to hopefully put an end to all this pain for good. I have been told it is unpleasant by my GP but being on antibiotics and painkillers constantly is really wearing too . And I'm told that I should be over it in a week or so. I really hope this works and I can get on with my life . Jan

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It is possible that the antibiotic partially corrected the underlying cause of your symptoms. But, if the symptoms returned, you need to be re-evaluated.

Have you told your general practitioner that the symptoms returned?

Have you had an CT scan or MRI of the skull? You need to have imaging studies to determine the cause of this pain and associated symptoms.

Regards,

Anonymous

I have an extreme sinus infection that I have had for a long time with out knowing it. I have been sick all winter and placed in the hospital twice for observation without anyone figuring out what was wrong with me. My symptoms were dizziness, nausea ,pain at the base of my scull, spinal pain, dry mouth,nose,eyes and throat and hot flashes. Also pain along the top of my head along with pressure and my head feeling very heavy. I was also tiered all the time. They finally found it when they did an MRI something my doctor scheduled two months earlier and the insurance company would not allow. I just finished my first round of antibiotics a week ago and the symptoms are already starting to come back. I am scheduled for a CAT scan next week and another doctors appointment to see were we go next. I believe this all started with a root canal I had a year ago. I hope that this might help someone who might have the same problem. I was sure that what ever was wrong with me was killing me because I kept getting worse and they couldn't seem to figure it out.

Arry Stark

I just went to my sinus specialist for this very thing - a headache that was really intense, but especially large painful lumps on the back of my skull.

Anonymous

While we do not have cavities or sinuses in the back of the head, we do have lymph nodes. Sounds like your Suboccipital lymph node was quite irritated and it's good you got that taken care of.

Pat Elliott

chriscourt2 - We do not have sinus cavities at the base of the skull or the back of our heads. The sinuses are hollow cavities in the skull that have openings into the nose.
Each sinus is named for the bone in which it is located:

* Maxillary (one sinus located in each cheek)
* Ethmoid (approximately 6-12 small sinuses per side, located between the eyes)
* Frontal (one sinus per side, located in the forehead)
* Sphenoid (one sinus per side, located behind the ethmoid sinuses, near the middle of the skull)

I would urge you to see your healthcare professional to determine what this is and get relief from the pain. There could be many causes, including an infection, swollen lymph nodes, muscle tightness and more. This isn't something you should try to diagnose and treat on your own. Please let us know what you learn, and we hope you're feeling better soon.

Take care,
Pat

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

I have a similar problem which is why I asked about sinus' which lead me to you. The pain at the base of my skull is intense, especially when I bend down or even sit down. I have a cold (the 4th one in 2 months) but never had pain in this area before and a continuous headache full stop. I've went to the doctor two weeks ago and bloods came back normal to infection, although this cold only hit me two days ago. Please help as I feel the docs think I'm a nuisance!
Angie

Pat Elliott (reply to Anonymous)

Did your doctor determine whether you had a sinus infection or provide you with anything to treat your sinus infection or give you any advice on this? Sinus issues can cause severe headaches, and even colds can result in bad ones too. Here's some information to help: http://www.american-rhinologic.org/patientinfo.headache.phtml

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Hi Pat,

Thank you for replying, I went to out of hours doctors this morning and was diagnosed with having sinus infection and am now taking Augmentin 625mg and pain killers.
Hopefully tomorrow I will feel more human.

If you have used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem, was it successful?: