ask: is there a sinus cavity at the base of your skull?

I have a knot that is VERY sensitive to the touch on the left side of the base of my skull. There is nothing on my scalp, so I know that it is internal. It burns and my scalp tingles in that area almost making my scalp itch, but I cant touch it. I have recently been sick with a sinus infection and was told I may have an infection in my sinuses on the back of my head. It is really painful.

Anonymous

I have a painful bump At the base of the left side of my skull. I am positive that it is sinus related since I am getting over a cold and I also have sinus pressure I the usual location above my eyes and a yellowish discharge when I blow my nose. I have also experienced this before, a few years ago and it went away with the usual treatment for sinusitis.

Anonymous

The sphenoid sinus is at the back of the head, and has all the symptoms described. It requires a special type of CT Scan to detect, and is near the optical nerve, causing extreme pain described. It can only be fixed by a dangerous surgery that goes near the brain. That is the only cure.

Anonymous

I have had the same issues and symptoms as everyone else here several times. I found antibiotics helps, but sometimes you need a couple of courses and it takes a long time for it to go away, sometimes a couple of months. I think its pretty much some kind of infection related.

Anonymous

Go to an accupunturist!

Anonymous

I had bad pains about an inch and a half behind my right ear that hurt so bad i thought i had something really wrong with me. I was also feeling dizzy. Turns out i had an eustachian tube infection. Its a tube behind ones ear drum that has something to do with balance as well.

I just had this as well! Right side and then left and learned it was eustachian tube dysfunction. Isn't that weird! I have NEVER had trouble with my ears in my entire life.

Anonymous

My headache and pain are like those described here. It's been almost a month. I've had a CT scan, and am on amoxicillian. Pain pills don't really help unless I take enough to sleep. If I keep my head down, I am okay but when I am up and trying to do my normal activities, (I am an elementary school teacher) my head kills me. My ears and the back of my neck hurt, too. I am going back to the doctor, for the third time, tomorrow. I can't take much more.

Did you figure out what was wrong? I have the same problem it's very frustrating. Thanks.

I had terrible pain which started above the eyes and eventually turned into a migraine.
It eventually became so chronic that it was difficult to work.
Holding my head up was super painfully. The pain was in the back of the neck and would just spread into the shoulders.
This agony went on for five years.
Doctors could not figure it out and tried numerous things. Nothing worked

One day I complained to a friend that my nasal passage burned just to breath.
He told me to sniff a little hydrogen peroxide at night while in a hot shower.
That night I took a hot shower , poured a little HP onto my finger and plugged one side and sniffed through the other. The trick is to breath it in along with a bunch of air enough to atomize it.
I did it a couple times per side and I could feel it bubbling deep inside my nasal passages and eventually felt it go down the back of my throat.
Absolute miracle I have not had neck pain or headaches since !
Doctors are idiots for the most part, it's rare you find a good one about as rare Asa good mechanic .
I still haven't found either.

You have described my symptoms exactly. Have you discovered a cause?

Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide

If you have used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem, was it successful?: