Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide

ask: is there a sinus cavity at the base of your skull?

I have a knot that is VERY sensitive to the touch on the left side of the base of my skull. There is nothing on my scalp, so I know that it is internal. It burns and my scalp tingles in that area almost making my scalp itch, but I cant touch it. I have recently been sick with a sinus infection and was told I may have an infection in my sinuses on the back of my head. It is really painful.

Arry Stark

I just went to my sinus specialist for this very thing - a headache that was really intense, but especially large painful lumps on the back of my skull.

Anonymous

While we do not have cavities or sinuses in the back of the head, we do have lymph nodes. Sounds like your Suboccipital lymph node was quite irritated and it's good you got that taken care of.

Pat Elliott

chriscourt2 - We do not have sinus cavities at the base of the skull or the back of our heads. The sinuses are hollow cavities in the skull that have openings into the nose.
Each sinus is named for the bone in which it is located:

* Maxillary (one sinus located in each cheek)
* Ethmoid (approximately 6-12 small sinuses per side, located between the eyes)
* Frontal (one sinus per side, located in the forehead)
* Sphenoid (one sinus per side, located behind the ethmoid sinuses, near the middle of the skull)

I would urge you to see your healthcare professional to determine what this is and get relief from the pain. There could be many causes, including an infection, swollen lymph nodes, muscle tightness and more. This isn't something you should try to diagnose and treat on your own. Please let us know what you learn, and we hope you're feeling better soon.

Take care,
Pat

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

I have a similar problem which is why I asked about sinus' which lead me to you. The pain at the base of my skull is intense, especially when I bend down or even sit down. I have a cold (the 4th one in 2 months) but never had pain in this area before and a continuous headache full stop. I've went to the doctor two weeks ago and bloods came back normal to infection, although this cold only hit me two days ago. Please help as I feel the docs think I'm a nuisance!
Angie

Pat Elliott (reply to Anonymous)

Did your doctor determine whether you had a sinus infection or provide you with anything to treat your sinus infection or give you any advice on this? Sinus issues can cause severe headaches, and even colds can result in bad ones too. Here's some information to help: http://www.american-rhinologic.org/patientinfo.headache.phtml

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Hi Pat,

Thank you for replying, I went to out of hours doctors this morning and was diagnosed with having sinus infection and am now taking Augmentin 625mg and pain killers.
Hopefully tomorrow I will feel more human.

Pat Elliott (reply to Anonymous)

Anon - So glad you took those steps to take care of your health!! I've had some horrible sinus headaches in the past, and appreciate how bad you must feel right now. There are some things you can do to help with the headaches, which I found on Web M.D. Sure hope you are feeling back to your normal self soon! Pat
* Apply an ice pack to the painful area of your head. Try placing it on your forehead, temples, or the back of your neck.
* Take a warm bath or shower; take a nap; or take a walk.
* Ask someone to rub your neck and back, or treat yourself to a massage.
* Apply gentle, steady rotating pressure to the painful area of your head with your index finger and/or thumb. Maintain pressure for seven to 15 seconds, then release. Repeat as needed.
* Rest, sit, or lie quietly in a low-lit room. Close your eyes and try to release the tension in your back, neck, and shoulders.

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Pat,

Thank you for those tips, I will certainly keep hold of them just in case of any future problems, athough I really hope I will never need them again. My first sinus headache, which is still present but less severe, and hopefully my last one! Sympathy to you if you suffer a lot with them.
Thank you very much for your time & care in helping me.
Take care,
Andrea :o)

I have acute chronic sinus infections average 8 a year. My catscan showed by bones on right side extremely large and infection was found in the back of my skull. Dr said a puss sack and could have been there the whole 20 years I have had this awaul painful issue but never said what to do about that. Sinus surgery was offered but dr said not much chance my headaches would go away because of my C5=C6 dics ruptures. Not sure if I should go through the surgery. But then ask me on a day (many( when I am in SO MUCH pain I say I wish someone would either shoot morpine into my head or open it up.

While there are no sinus cavities in the base of the skull, it is a reflexology point for the sinuses. The eye nerve is also a reflexology point in that area. So if you have a sinus infection, more than likely that will be very tender, esp if it's making your eyes swollen & tender. I hope this helps. :)

If you have used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem, was it successful?: