Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide

ask: is there a sinus cavity at the base of your skull?

By chriscourt2

I have a knot that is VERY sensitive to the touch on the left side of the base of my skull. There is nothing on my scalp, so I know that it is internal. It burns and my scalp tingles in that area almost making my scalp itch, but I cant touch it. I have recently been sick with a sinus infection and was told I may have an infection in my sinuses on the back of my head. It is really painful.

Anonymous

I had bad pains about an inch and a half behind my right ear that hurt so bad i thought i had something really wrong with me. I was also feeling dizzy. Turns out i had an eustachian tube infection. Its a tube behind ones ear drum that has something to do with balance as well.

Anonymous

My headache and pain are like those described here. It's been almost a month. I've had a CT scan, and am on amoxicillian. Pain pills don't really help unless I take enough to sleep. If I keep my head down, I am okay but when I am up and trying to do my normal activities, (I am an elementary school teacher) my head kills me. My ears and the back of my neck hurt, too. I am going back to the doctor, for the third time, tomorrow. I can't take much more.

I've had that pain off and on over several years. My neck was out of alignment. Saw a chiropractor each time and it went away. Our sinuses and all nerves to the head go thru our spine. When your neck is out of alignment it squeezes on these nerves and veins causing pain and no blood flow which results in all kinds of problems.

Anonymous

I have had pain in the back of my head for 12 mths.i have been to 4 dr and have had 4 diffrent diagnosis and given 4 diffrent medication none of them have worked.i went back to my gp and said that I can not stand the pain and the other symptoms ie dizziness heavey head unable to sleep because the pain was so bad.my gp gave me amoxicillin clavulanic acid and with in four days I had no pain and felt great I finished the tablets and thought I was better but it has all come back I am so upset by this I need help I dont think I can cope again with the pain and heavey head dizzy no sleep please help. Jo

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It is possible that the antibiotic partially corrected the underlying cause of your symptoms. But, if the symptoms returned, you need to be re-evaluated.

Have you told your general practitioner that the symptoms returned?

Have you had an CT scan or MRI of the skull? You need to have imaging studies to determine the cause of this pain and associated symptoms.

Regards,

Hi I've just read your post and can sympathise totally I've had a sinus problem for about 30 years and at present I am going through a particularly bad bout, but next week I'm am going into hospital for a sinus operation to hopefully put an end to all this pain for good. I have been told it is unpleasant by my GP but being on antibiotics and painkillers constantly is really wearing too . And I'm told that I should be over it in a week or so. I really hope this works and I can get on with my life . Jan

Did it work and what exactly did they do in the surgery?

I had a sinus wash it seems to have worked a treat and after another couple of courses of anti biotics I'm on the mend

Anonymous

I have an extreme sinus infection that I have had for a long time with out knowing it. I have been sick all winter and placed in the hospital twice for observation without anyone figuring out what was wrong with me. My symptoms were dizziness, nausea ,pain at the base of my scull, spinal pain, dry mouth,nose,eyes and throat and hot flashes. Also pain along the top of my head along with pressure and my head feeling very heavy. I was also tiered all the time. They finally found it when they did an MRI something my doctor scheduled two months earlier and the insurance company would not allow. I just finished my first round of antibiotics a week ago and the symptoms are already starting to come back. I am scheduled for a CAT scan next week and another doctors appointment to see were we go next. I believe this all started with a root canal I had a year ago. I hope that this might help someone who might have the same problem. I was sure that what ever was wrong with me was killing me because I kept getting worse and they couldn't seem to figure it out.

Did you have the mucus with the other symptoms? I feel exactly as you described, tired, aching from base of my skull down my back, my eyes ache and I'm so tired. I don't have thick mucus all of the time, in fact it's mostly dry. But I feel like hell. I I've felt this way for about a week and a half.

If you have used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem, was it successful?: