ask: is there a sinus cavity at the base of your skull?

By chriscourt2 December 27, 2010 - 11:11am

I have a knot that is VERY sensitive to the touch on the left side of the base of my skull. There is nothing on my scalp, so I know that it is internal. It burns and my scalp tingles in that area almost making my scalp itch, but I cant touch it. I have recently been sick with a sinus infection and was told I may have an infection in my sinuses on the back of my head. It is really painful.

I found this site by googling my symptoms. I have had green discharge out of the right side of my nose for several months. Off and on I have a burning, tingling, sharp pain at the base of the right side of my skull; with swelling on the right side of my face. Visible to me only. Meaning people wouldn't notice. But I can see the difference in the morning when I put my makeup on. When these episodes flare up I feel fatigued and can hardly function. CT of the sinus=normal. Blood work=normal. How I feel=not normal.

I had a molar pulled a year ago from that side of the mouth and the skull pain started a months after. However, the only time I feel good is when I'm on antibiotics and this last round the last day of them, (today) I woke, with the pain in the base of skull, dizzy, horrible taste in my mouth. I think the doctors think I'm crazy.

Any suggestions?

This sounds like a cavitation. It happens after
Having a tooth pulled incorrectly. I'm having similar
Pain and been diagnosed with them after having 4 wisdom
Teeth pulled years ago.

I have a painful bump At the base of the left side of my skull. I am positive that it is sinus related since I am getting over a cold and I also have sinus pressure I the usual location above my eyes and a yellowish discharge when I blow my nose. I have also experienced this before, a few years ago and it went away with the usual treatment for sinusitis.

The sphenoid sinus is at the back of the head, and has all the symptoms described. It requires a special type of CT Scan to detect, and is near the optical nerve, causing extreme pain described. It can only be fixed by a dangerous surgery that goes near the brain. That is the only cure.

No need to freak out - the only 'cure' is not surgery - antibiotics and anti-inflammatories also work!

I have had the same issues and symptoms as everyone else here several times. I found antibiotics helps, but sometimes you need a couple of courses and it takes a long time for it to go away, sometimes a couple of months. I think its pretty much some kind of infection related.

Go to an accupunturist!

I had bad pains about an inch and a half behind my right ear that hurt so bad i thought i had something really wrong with me. I was also feeling dizzy. Turns out i had an eustachian tube infection. Its a tube behind ones ear drum that has something to do with balance as well.

I just had this as well! Right side and then left and learned it was eustachian tube dysfunction. Isn't that weird! I have NEVER had trouble with my ears in my entire life.

My headache and pain are like those described here. It's been almost a month. I've had a CT scan, and am on amoxicillian. Pain pills don't really help unless I take enough to sleep. If I keep my head down, I am okay but when I am up and trying to do my normal activities, (I am an elementary school teacher) my head kills me. My ears and the back of my neck hurt, too. I am going back to the doctor, for the third time, tomorrow. I can't take much more.

Sinus Infection

Sinus Infection Guide

If you have used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem, was it successful?: