two periods in one month and nothing since?

me and my partner have been trying for a baby for around 6 months and in April we had intercourse on a couple off occasions between 17th and 21st April.

I had two periods last month within two weeks of each other, the first started on the 6th april and the second started on 23rd April, it's now 33 days since I last bled, and I have never had an irregular period before, do you think I need to do a pregnancy test?

the only change to my life style has been keeping more fit, I quit smoking in January and I have been doing some studying for my exam in June, could it just be stress, or body change issues.

Katrina, I'm sorry you got your period, since you'd be so happy with a baby. It's rough sometimes when you're really hoping and trying.

Do you know about basal body temperature charting? It is basically a method for taking your temperature first thing in the morning -- before you even get out of bed -- with a basal thermometer, and then charting those temperatures daily. After a couple of months, you get used to seeing the very small temperature drop that signals that ovulation is about to occur, and later you see the temperature rise that signals that it did in fact happen.

The upside to basal temperature charting is that it's cheap, easy and you don't have to buy a new kit every month (like you have to do with the OTC ovulation predictor kits). The downside to it is that you are preoccupied with your own fertility every day, which puts a bit of a strain sometimes on a relationship.

The fact that you are not yet 30 is great news! You still have several years in which to conceive. Don't get overly obsessed with it right now, especially if school takes precedence.

If you are interested in reading more about basal temperature charting, here's an answer I wrote to another EmpowHer member on how it works. There are links included where you can even print out basal thermometer charts for free:

Good luck to you and come back and update us from time to time!

the bad news is I'm not pregnant, my period started today.

I will just have to keep trying, but have planned to have myself checked out at my doctors as soon as I have done my exam.

I definately want a baby as I feel like my clock is ticking with approaching the big 30, but unfortunately I cannot get out of my course work, as work have paid allot of money for me to do it.

I think I just need to relax abit more, but if anyone has any tips to help me conceive I would be most gratefull.

Dear Anon, I agree with SusanC, there is nothing better for your peace of mind than getting an over-the-counter pregnancy test. These are very accurate by the way! Do you have a history of irregular periods? Are you stressed out? How close are you to perimenopause? There are many factors that can influence the normal ovulation cycle. With all that stress in your life right now are you sure you want to get pregnant? Allow your body to heal from years of smoking, you are on the right path by exercising and getting in shape. Give yourself time to enjoy this "new" you before you put your body through a major hormonal change that occurs during pregnancy.

Thank you for your question and for finding EmpowHer!

I'm not sure why you would have had two periods within a couple of weeks of each other out of the blue like that, but you are right - stress can most certainly be a factor. Quitting smoking (and congratulations on that!!) shouldn't affect your monthly cycle unless quitting caused undue stress. Was April the only month that this happened? If so, it could have been just a fluke - this happens, even in the most regular of women.

If you have been actively trying for a baby and you are now a week or so late, absolutely take a pregnancy test. At home pregnancy tests are highly accurate.

Please take a test and let us know - we'll keep our fingers crossed for you!