unprotected sex after 1 cycle of birth control pills

Hi, this is the first time that I started using birth control pills (yaz). After finishing the first cycle (including the placebo pills), I had sex with my boyfriend the next morning (first active pill of 2nd cycle). Will I be protected from getting pregnant since I had finished the whole first cycle? I take the pill every night before bed, but my sexual intercourse was in the morning of the same day. Does this affect the level of protection?

You are fully protected, usually within a week of the first time you ever take pills. You are also protected on the week you take the placebo pills. You have nothing to worry about as long as you take your pills around the same time every day. I think an alarm on your phone is a good idea to help you remember.

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the information. I take it every night within an hour time frame (10.30 pm to 11.30 pm).

I use the quick start method for my birth control pills, and I have irregular period so I'm not very sure which part of the menstrual cycle I'm in when I started taking it. When you mentioned that I'm protected usually within a week of taking the pills, does this work for the quick start method too? Regardless of where I'm in on my menstrual cycle?

Thank you

The Quick Start method suggests using protection for the first 7 days of the first pack - after that you are protected full time.