Unprotected sex! What should i do? And what is the best birth control ( condoms, pill, injection, etc..)

I had unprotected sex the other day and it was'nt planned. I am 18 and my boyfriends 19. We have been going out with each other for over a year and have just started to get sexual. We have had sex about 4 times now and normally use a condoms but the other day we had none and stupidly we went ahead without. Is there anything i can do now to not get pregnant or to lower my chances. I finished my period on the 4th so i have a long wait till my next period.
Also i will get some condoms and make sure we both have some on use, but are they the best birth control and would another option be better for me? Like the pill or the injection. How safe are they, do they have side affects and how long can you use them for. I've heard the pill can cause a stroke and the injection makes your bones weak. Is this true.

Dear Anon

Firstly, since you had unprotected sex, you can take Plan B to avoid pregnancy. It has to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex and you can get it at a drug store (you do not need a prescription). If you have missed that 72 hour window, you'll have to wait it out.

Which birth control is the best? The answer is that any kind of birth control is only as good as the person using it. No matter what kind you choose, you have to use it exactly as prescribed, and consistently.

And you are correct, there can be side effects and risks, as well as benefits, depending on what kind of birth control you use. Your own health and lifestyle will also be a factor (whether you smoke etc).

We have a wonderful article that details all the options of birth control, including the benefits and risks. You can read it here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/contraception-what-are-your-options

Does this help you?