Is Vitamin A healthy for skin cancer patients?

By Anonymous March 18, 2015 - 11:19am

I have had melanoma and Bowen’s Disease, and read conflicting reports of the benefit or risk of taking Vitamin A supplements and/or topical creams containing tretinoin. The latter is said to heal wounds and increase collagen production and angiogenesis, but won’t that encourage skin cancers? A rodent study showed Vitamin A(or it’s carrier) increased photomutagenesis. Some reports show retinoic acid thinning and irritating skin. But the use of retinyls in some sunscreens makes it confusing!

I have read summaries of these studies too and they do bear listening to. 

Yes, Vitamin A is good for skin in terms of keeping it young looking and supple, but yes, it could be troubling for someone who has dealt with skin cancer. This is one of the main reasons those who use Retin A are told to stay out of the sunlight. 

Are you asking regarding sun screens or cosmetic creams? You can certainly find some without it.

I have not had cancer and it's hard to me to recommend anything to you, a survivor - but - maybe - when it doubt, leave it out.

Nail Ridges