Was i pregnant and miscarried or just late

By Anonymous February 26, 2010 - 9:05pm

Hi, i really would like some advise. The other week i was due on my period but i never came on, the day later i decided to take a pregnancy test. I took two and they both came out positive. 4 days later i starting bleeding, which i have been doing for the last 3 days, just like a normal period. I never felt any different as if i was pregnant. So do you think i was or was the test wrong and should i take another pregnancy test now, just to see what that one says

Dear Anon

Thank you for your question!

Taking two pregnancy tests correctly, and having both come out as positive, as well as being several days late, indicates you had a very high chance of being pregnant.

Getting your 'period' several days later may indeed have been a miscarriage. There would have been no need to 'feel different' - if you were pregnant, you would have been about 10-12 days along and probably not feeling anything yet (although some women do.)

The pregnancy hormone (hCG) may still be in your system so taking a test might indicate as positive again (if a woman has a baby and tests for pregnancy a week after birth, she may get a positive result as the hormone is still in her system.

Were you trying to get pregnant? Had you been using birth control?

It's a good idea to schedule an appointment with your health care provider ASAP. They may still be able to confirm or deny a pregnancy.

I hope you are ok with all this from an emotional standpoint. I know how hard a miscarriage can be. If you'd like to talk to us more, please let us know.

Will you set up an appointment as soon as possible and keep us posted?