Weird bleeding??

So, I got an IUD inserted about 3 months ago, (the copper Paragard) and since have had very strange menstruation. Last month, I got my period on time and had light bleeding for about 2 weeks, and then heavy bleeding for one week. Then, only 8 days later I got my period AGAIN! I have been bleeding (lightly) for a full week again, with no sign of it letting up. (Clarification - this means in the past 5 weeks, I have bled for 4.) Does anyone have any ideas about why this might be happening? Should I be nervous about my uterus with this IUD? Or about anything else?

Also, I started using a menstrual cup around the same time as I began this non-stop bleeding. Is there any way they could be related?

Any ideas/advice at all are welcome!

Hi Anonymous

Thank you for your question and welcome!

Menstrual cups are generally very safe to use - I would be more concerned about your IUD.

Please schedule an appointment with your GYN straight away to have it examined. Things to consider are that it may not have been inserted correctly, had perforated your uterus (not common but can happen) or otherwise is not working properly. Since this near constant bleeding has the same time line as your IUD insertion, then an appointment as soon as possible is advisable, especially since this has been going on for three months. And also mention to your doctor about your menstrual cup, to be on the safe side.

Please update us when you can and PLEASE don't delay with making an appointment!

Thanks for your help, Susan.

The first period that I had after getting the IUD inserted was heavy, but for a normal length of time. It was only 4 weeks after the insertion that I started bleeding for so long. Could my uterus really be perforated even though this weird bleeding came a month after the insertion? Is some additional bleeding normal while your uterus adjusts to the device? Are there other possibilities that you know of?

I am looking into scheduling an appointment, but have issues with health insurance. I just want to know the level of anxiety with which I should approach a doctor!

Thanks again.

Regardless of the first month, you NEED to get this seen to. Have it checked at a free clinic if you need to - you can find one in your area here : http://www.freeclinics.us/freeclinic.php

There is no "level of anxiety" that must be presented to your doctor. You don't have to act one way or the other to be heard but most doctors will say that a patient's best approach is to be factual and as level headed as possible so that they can be fully understood in a reasonable time.

My advice is to write out when this started, how long your bleeding lasts and how you physically feel. Explain about the constant bleeding and the timeline that coincides with the insertion of your IUD.

One word of advice - since it has been over three months now, this is not some kind of "adjustment" period, nor is it normal. The more level headed and factual you are, the better! Read from your list if you need to (it's not a bad idea to hand the doctor a copy) and remember that everyone gets a little nervous when in the doctor's office - it's very normal!

Please get this done as soon as you can.