weird brown discharge after period

By September 13, 2010 - 7:57am

I am 18 years old. For the past week i have been experiencing a brown light discharge. A week prior to this I had a regular period that lasted about a week. I can only remember once before that i had this problem, and its been a while. I have been under an enormous amount of stress lately as i just started college. Another factor may be that while i haven't had sex ever before but a week before the discharge happened i was fingered, its not the first time and unless i was damaged somehow this isn't the reason. I can tell my body is stressed from other sign also, dirreaha for example.

I hope that it is just stress and nothing is wrong with me. Any help would be appreciated. Its just happening for a while and I am scared because its not letting up and I am going into the second week of it.

Hi rkowens

Thanks for your question and for finding EmpowHER!

I think we can reassure you that what is happening to you is pretty normal. The brown blood that comes after your period is old blood that the uterus did not get to expel during your regular period. After the regular period ends, it's not uncommon to have a few days of old, brown discharge.

Because our body chemistry changes, you may experience this every month or only a few months a year.

I think this is something you should bring up to your doctor on your next visit (or put a call in now if you're worried) but this is generally considered normal. The kind of sexual contact you had would not cause this so don't worry about that.

I hope this helps you and good luck in college!