What are the chances of pregnancy?

By February 3, 2016 - 8:05pm

Hi, I recently had my IUD removed, like on the 8th of January, and was planning on having one put back in on the 17th of February. Meanwhile I had unprotected intercourse with my fiancé on the 30th of January. We did do the withdrawal method, but I know it's not always 100% safe. I was concerned so I went out and bought Plan B, and took it around 6 hours after we had intercourse. Now, I didn't realize this until after, but I'm more than 100% positive I was ovulating. I'm not sure if bleeding the day after the IUD removal for 5 days counts as a period, but I know that I must be due anytime for a normal one. After taking the Plan B Saturday, I didn't haven't any side effects until Monday at 2:00am. I woke up with a dry mouth, feeling very nauseous, and a slight headache. It's now Wednesday, and I'm still nauseous. I'm worried I could be pregnant. Also I'm 43 and I weight 185lbs. I read AFTER I took Plan B that it doesn't work with larger women. Can someone give me any advice that would ease my mind? I'm still waiting ever so patiently for my period to come, and I know eventually I'll have to go to the doctors. I did buy a home pregnancy test, but I think it might be too early to test.

Hi Anonymous123

You're correct that Plan B may not be effective for you due to your weight but, and I mean this in a nice way, being 43 will also lower your pregnancy risk. Of course it can happen but your odds are pretty low.
You also used the withdrawal method - while this isn't near perfect, it can certainly help.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do but wait for your period. You can test for pregnancy 14 days or so after sex if you don't get your period beforehand. Try to stay calm (I know that's easier said than done) and remember the odds favor you.

Thanks Susan! Guess what? It's Saturday morning, and I did get my period! I'm so relieved now that I can carrying on in life without that big fear. You're right that the odds were in my favor. :)