what are my chances of getting or being pregnant, if I had sex 4 days & 13 days after my period?

Here is some more reading material for you:

- Signs of ovulation:
• Change in cervical fluid
• Change in cervical position and cervical firmness
• Brief twinge of pain or dull ache that is felt on one side of the abdomen
• Light spotting
• Increase in sex drive
• Elevated level of the luteinizing hormone (LH) which can be detected on a test
• Body temperature chart that shows a consistent change
• Breast tenderness
• Abdominal bloating
• Heightened sense of vision, smell or taste

- Signs of pregnancy

- Planning your pregnancy

Fertility Basics:
- Timing is Everything
- Your Cycle Explained

One piece of unsolicited advice from my personal experience: when we were trying to conceive (we have a 2 year old now), I was driving myself crazy trying to track down every piece of information for a clue that I was or was not pregnant. It was both fun and exhausting, especially when we found out I was not pregnant the first month. It took me a few days to recover from the disappointment, to then realize we had only tried once, and "only" have a 20% chance with each cycle to be pregnant. I was scrutinizing every ache, twist, pain, soreness, and tightness in my body, every hour, and it made the 2-week wait agonizing! You sound very excited and hopeful that you are pregnant, and I just wanted to share this with you. Unfortunately, there is just no way to know if you are pregnant until you miss a period, which means the embryo (it is not called a fetus until week 8...the doctor likely won't even make an appointment with you until you reach week 8, which is another waiting game!) is just 2 weeks into it's development.

If you are an information-seeking junkie like me, can you set a goal for yourself that you will find out some specific information, and then move on to another topic? It's the only way I've found to keep my sanity during this exciting and nerve-wracking time. You can find out what the best exercise/fitness and nutrition there is for conceiving, as well as pre-pregnancy.

oh--are you taking your prenatal vitamins? And, I hope you are pregnant, but if you are not, you may want to increase your odds next month, and use a method to predict your ovulation, as well as increase your chances of conception by increasing the amount of times you have sex to every-other day, before and during your most fertile time, as many OB/GYNs would recommend.

Good luck--I'm rooting for ya! :)

Thank you for your question!

Most women ovulate around day 14 (average) of their cycle (your cycle begins on day 1 of your period) so your chance of getting pregnant if you have sex 4 days after your period depends on when you ovulated. Sperm can stay alive for 72 days so if you ovulated a little early, say on day 12 or 13, you could get pregnant. If you had sex 13 days after, you can get pregnant if you ovulated later than the average day 14 after the first day of your period.

Is your cycle very regular? Some women can ovulate at different times every month, making a planned pregnancy difficult and a unplanned pregnancy possible!

So the answer is yes, you could get pregnant at any time of your cycle, as long as you ovulate and do not have problems with infertility. Your odds increase in your 20s and begin to decrease after about age 35 - but in pregnancy, anything is possible!

Are you currently trying to get pregnant?

Yes, I am trying to get pregnant. My periods are every 24 days, and they last about 4 days, so would that make a big difference on when I ovulate? And by the way, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

(reply to Anonymous)

Most women ovulate between days 11-21 of their cycle, with a 28-day cycle. Your cycle is shorter than this "textbook 28-day cycle", and with a 24-day cycle, you may ovulate earlier then day 11, but you may not, as every women is different, and every cycle is different also!

To calculate when you are most likely to ovulate, "day 1" is the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP).

You mentioned your periods last about 4 days, so assuming your period lasted exactly 4 days ("day 1"-"day 4"), and you had sex 4 days after your period ended ("day 8") and again 13 days after your period ended ("day 17"), then you did have sex during a time when you may have been fertile/ovulating.

Do you know the signs of ovulation?

Did you know that you have a 20% chance of pregnancy during each cycle?

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

To be honest, I really don't know the true signs of ovulation. So there could be a possibility of me becoming or being pregnant? And if so, the only true signs of pregnancy are when you miss your period?!