what are the symptoms of chlamydia in women who have had a hysterectomy?

By March 17, 2010 - 10:22am

I had a complete hysterectomy, cervix and all yet I am having some of the same issues. Yellowish green discharge with itching but nothing else. Treated it as an infection as I had just been sick but symptoms are still there. Discharge is not frothy either, more like mucus. Is that the same?

You still may have an infection - yellow green discharge is a key sign.

Please make an appointment with a gynecologist for an exam.

I had a hysterectomy six years ago with removal of ovaries as well. I had unprotected sex about a month ago with my ex partner, foolish I know. He is the only person I have had sex with in two years. I now have abdominal pain, cramping, distention, as well as dysuria, and a feeling of fullness in the bladder. Urine tests for UTI's have come back negative, and white cell count is normal. I'm wondering if it's possible to have Chlamidya? I had it once before when I was raped and it caused severe PID as it wasn't diagnosed in time. Since then I suffered two ectopics and multiple surgeries prior to my hysterectomy in 2004. Do you have any advice?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get a check up and to be tested for Chlamydia. Here's more information: http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/chlamydia-tests

Anonymous (reply to Pat Elliott)

Thank you. I will get a test done. Thus far my urologist is telling me that it's probably stress related, but that doesn't make much sense to me, as my symptoms are consistent with a bladder infection, although urine tests proved negative and my white blood cell count is normal.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and advice.

No a few of us at work were talking and it was a question that came up and I was just curious. But thank you very much for the prompt answer

Dear hlthknowledge

Chlamydia is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in America. It is found in the genital tract of women, not in the uterus, so symptoms would be the same as a woman who still has her womb.

Symptoms include:

◦Increased or abnormal vaginal discharge
◦Strong vaginal odor
◦Vaginal redness or irritation
◦Painful urination
◦Unusual vaginal bleeding
◦Pain or bleeding during or after sex
◦Abdominal pain

For more information, please take a look at your Chlamydia page here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/chlamydia#definition

Are you experiencing any of these symptoms now? Do you think you may have contracted chlamydia?

Chlamydia Guide