ask: What could change menstrual flow from heavy to light, mid-period?

By tenfortyfive

I normally have a heavy period, that lasts for about 6 days. I am on the 3rd day right now, and my flow suddenly went very light (it was heavy for the past two days, like normal). I'm 18 and have had my period since I was 10 and it's been regular and very predictable for the past year or so. What could cause the sudden change? I did get the TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine yesterday, that's the one thing I can think of that has been different with me lately, other than maybe stress from school... could either of those cause such a dramatic change?

Anonymous

Okay I've had my period since I was 12, I am now 15.
My period is heavy and I don't like it it takes away to much for me. I can't have a normal night out with my girls. And I feel discusted because its so heavy. i do wear tampons but I can barely have a tampon in for an hour before I have to change it again because it bleed through, what can I do to get my period to where its lighter ?,

Anonymous

I got my period like 6 months ago and have not really had a period every month but just started to get my period monthly this month I had a 27 days between my two periods and I have not had to change a pad during school or during the day at all I have not even come close to bleeding through pads and do not use tampons regularily unless i have to Is my period normal and will all my periods be this way

Anonymous

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It can take a couple of years for a menstrual cycle to become regular and very light periods are common in the beginning. You have nothing to worry about.

Anonymous

I have alway have a normal peroid that last for five days.I have a baby n it was still normal.until it came back heaver,the past month it starts to come lighter than even that I can only wear a panty liner.I'm wondering what's wrong

Anonymous

I always had a heavy period full 7 days sometimes even 9 or 10.I never had cravings.I lost a lot of weight the past year it was still normal until this month I got a light one and it lasted only 5 days.im worried.
Btw I'm 13 I got my period when I was 10

Anonymous

Hi there. I am 30 years old and have had my period since I was 12. It has always been the same-first few days of heavy bleeding that gradually tapered off to nothing by the 6th day, which is my normal period length. But lately, for the past couple of months, I have noticed that my period starts out light and ends heavy-which is the exact opposite of every period I have had my whole life. I DID recently begin taking iron supplements for low iron, and a couple of medications to help with migraine headaches and sleep. Could those be causing it? I recently went to the Gynecologist and everything checked out ok so just wondering what could cause it. -Nichole

Hi Nichole! 

Medications can definitely have an impact on the menstrual cycle. Call your pharmacist or doctor with the names of your medications and see if changes in your menstrual cycle are a side effect. 

Also, our periods can change naturally throughout our fertile lives. We could have one kind of period for years and then see changes due to age or change in our body chemistry. This may be the case with you too. 

So check into these medications, Nichole,  or so some research yourself on the websites of the manufacturers of your medications to see if there is a link. 

Anonymous

Hi, I have had normal periods since my cycles began. I am able to track them with period trackers because they come every 28 days. I was on birth control for 7 years and stopped taking it last November in hopes to get pregnant. I know when I ovulate because I cramp and have the milky discharge. This last period came almost 2 days late which is very unusual..I began spotting then on night 2, I woke up and my pad was almost over flowed with thick blood clots...There were alot of clots in the toilet too. Then i spotted for a while and then had a normal period. What could have caused this?

Anonymous

well mine is almost always been really really heavy to extremely light. as if it's ended. the heavy lasts for about 3 days and then it's over. also I was wondering if it's normal to have the menstrual blood clot? that happens every period I have...

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: