ask: What could change menstrual flow from heavy to light, mid-period?

By tenfortyfive

I normally have a heavy period, that lasts for about 6 days. I am on the 3rd day right now, and my flow suddenly went very light (it was heavy for the past two days, like normal). I'm 18 and have had my period since I was 10 and it's been regular and very predictable for the past year or so. What could cause the sudden change? I did get the TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine yesterday, that's the one thing I can think of that has been different with me lately, other than maybe stress from school... could either of those cause such a dramatic change?

Anonymous

I have alway have a normal peroid that last for five days.I have a baby n it was still normal.until it came back heaver,the past month it starts to come lighter than even that I can only wear a panty liner.I'm wondering what's wrong

Anonymous

I always had a heavy period full 7 days sometimes even 9 or 10.I never had cravings.I lost a lot of weight the past year it was still normal until this month I got a light one and it lasted only 5 days.im worried.
Btw I'm 13 I got my period when I was 10

Anonymous

Hi there. I am 30 years old and have had my period since I was 12. It has always been the same-first few days of heavy bleeding that gradually tapered off to nothing by the 6th day, which is my normal period length. But lately, for the past couple of months, I have noticed that my period starts out light and ends heavy-which is the exact opposite of every period I have had my whole life. I DID recently begin taking iron supplements for low iron, and a couple of medications to help with migraine headaches and sleep. Could those be causing it? I recently went to the Gynecologist and everything checked out ok so just wondering what could cause it. -Nichole

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Nichole! 

Medications can definitely have an impact on the menstrual cycle. Call your pharmacist or doctor with the names of your medications and see if changes in your menstrual cycle are a side effect. 

Also, our periods can change naturally throughout our fertile lives. We could have one kind of period for years and then see changes due to age or change in our body chemistry. This may be the case with you too. 

So check into these medications, Nichole,  or so some research yourself on the websites of the manufacturers of your medications to see if there is a link. 

Anonymous

Hi, I have had normal periods since my cycles began. I am able to track them with period trackers because they come every 28 days. I was on birth control for 7 years and stopped taking it last November in hopes to get pregnant. I know when I ovulate because I cramp and have the milky discharge. This last period came almost 2 days late which is very unusual..I began spotting then on night 2, I woke up and my pad was almost over flowed with thick blood clots...There were alot of clots in the toilet too. Then i spotted for a while and then had a normal period. What could have caused this?

Anonymous

well mine is almost always been really really heavy to extremely light. as if it's ended. the heavy lasts for about 3 days and then it's over. also I was wondering if it's normal to have the menstrual blood clot? that happens every period I have...

Your period sounds normal. Like anything to do with normal body functions, everyone will be different. With regard to blood clots, some women experience these every month, others rarely get them. If you have further concerns, talk to your doctor.

~Susan

Anonymous

I'm 18 and have been used to having heavy period along with cramps, the cramps last me for about the first two days then I bleed normally for the next 4 days or so, and it's alwyas on time every 29 days or so,. This week I got my period and day 1 (as usual) i had cramping and heaving bleeding, but then after that the next like 4 days I had very light bleeding, only needing to use tampons and change them twice, at the end of my weird period I developed serious diarrhea, vomitting, chills, feeling faint, and some crampy-ness in my abdomen (I've already had my appendix removed). I'm also sexually active but always use a condom and i'm not on birth control. Could my period had been a miscarriage or spotting? Please help!

Anonymous

I have same problem...its kind of a concern for me, I admit. My period will usually change from heavy to medium flow for years since I was 9. But in past 8 months something happened to my period. now its very light that I don't even need one large pad for 24 hours. But yet I still get symptons as if I am getting super-heavy period. My ovary (usually right ones) will be in lot pain. I wonder if it might mean infertifility or something? I admit I am scared of this change. Guess I'll find out next month....

k-y

what would make my period change from heavy,i would use between 4-6 tampons per day,plus 1 pad just incase i over flowed. but for the last 4 months i haven't been using tampons only pads,but i've only been using 3-4 per day. what would make my periods blood level change,from heavy to light?

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: