ask: What could change menstrual flow from heavy to light, mid-period?

By tenfortyfive

I normally have a heavy period, that lasts for about 6 days. I am on the 3rd day right now, and my flow suddenly went very light (it was heavy for the past two days, like normal). I'm 18 and have had my period since I was 10 and it's been regular and very predictable for the past year or so. What could cause the sudden change? I did get the TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine yesterday, that's the one thing I can think of that has been different with me lately, other than maybe stress from school... could either of those cause such a dramatic change?

Anonymous

Hi, I have had normal periods since my cycles began. I am able to track them with period trackers because they come every 28 days. I was on birth control for 7 years and stopped taking it last November in hopes to get pregnant. I know when I ovulate because I cramp and have the milky discharge. This last period came almost 2 days late which is very unusual..I began spotting then on night 2, I woke up and my pad was almost over flowed with thick blood clots...There were alot of clots in the toilet too. Then i spotted for a while and then had a normal period. What could have caused this?

Anonymous

well mine is almost always been really really heavy to extremely light. as if it's ended. the heavy lasts for about 3 days and then it's over. also I was wondering if it's normal to have the menstrual blood clot? that happens every period I have...

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Your period sounds normal. Like anything to do with normal body functions, everyone will be different. With regard to blood clots, some women experience these every month, others rarely get them. If you have further concerns, talk to your doctor.

~Susan

Anonymous

I'm 18 and have been used to having heavy period along with cramps, the cramps last me for about the first two days then I bleed normally for the next 4 days or so, and it's alwyas on time every 29 days or so,. This week I got my period and day 1 (as usual) i had cramping and heaving bleeding, but then after that the next like 4 days I had very light bleeding, only needing to use tampons and change them twice, at the end of my weird period I developed serious diarrhea, vomitting, chills, feeling faint, and some crampy-ness in my abdomen (I've already had my appendix removed). I'm also sexually active but always use a condom and i'm not on birth control. Could my period had been a miscarriage or spotting? Please help!

Anonymous

I have same problem...its kind of a concern for me, I admit. My period will usually change from heavy to medium flow for years since I was 9. But in past 8 months something happened to my period. now its very light that I don't even need one large pad for 24 hours. But yet I still get symptons as if I am getting super-heavy period. My ovary (usually right ones) will be in lot pain. I wonder if it might mean infertifility or something? I admit I am scared of this change. Guess I'll find out next month....

k-y

what would make my period change from heavy,i would use between 4-6 tampons per day,plus 1 pad just incase i over flowed. but for the last 4 months i haven't been using tampons only pads,but i've only been using 3-4 per day. what would make my periods blood level change,from heavy to light?

Anonymous

Hi there, don't know if anyone can help me. For the past few years my period has gotten lighter and lighter. Some times only lasting one day. Now I have always had heavy periods so I was very concerned when this started happening. Went to the the gyno when it first happened and was told my body was changing because I was getting older. When it continuously happened I finally got some testing done. Checked my hormone levels and did a ultrasound of my uterus and ovaries. The only thing that was found was my uttering lining was very thin and I was asked if I had ever had children and I have not. Never really told why it was thin just said nothing to be concerned about until I start trying to have children. Now I am 30 still having almost no period. I have had some discomfort lately almost like I have a UTI but it doesn't hurt or burn when I urinate. Also I feel very, how do I say this with out sounding groase, loose lately, not when I'm having sex but just in general. Like I'm more open than I should be when I walk around its almost like there is air in there. Very weird feeling. I don't have insurance right now or I would be going to the doctor. Any ideas? Sorry this is so long.

Anonymous

Hi :) I managed to get my results from my blood tests :) after taking iron my levels are back to normal. However, they did find out that after fasting for 12-14hrs (recommended time) my glucose levels are 5.8 higher than 5.5 which it should be. A while back they tested my hormones and my oestradiol is <20 pmol/L. I have no idea what either of these mean but some more tests next week should confirm things. So far though my period is 18days until this time when now im just waiting for it to come.. so overall I'm jst kept in the dark for a while. jst thought this would keep u up to date from last time we spoke :)

Anonymous

hi!!!i am a 19 year old,currently worried with my situation which is almost identical to most of the cases that have been aired by my colleagues.my flow normally lasted 6-7days,with the first three days bng heavy,my first day was terribly painful.i am on my third day and i am sure 1 pad would last me the whole day...i did have protected sex during my midmonth(obviously this wd not be a cause of worry).wat cd be the cause of these changes???i havent been stressed lately...as much as i have always wanted a lighter flow.....this is so unsettling....pliz help!!!

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

A lighter period is nothing to worry about...is that your question?

Please re-read the comments previous to your question, as there is great information about what a normal period is and what "abnormal" period might entail.

A change in your period can be normal, but if you are excessively bleeding, then you would need to call your doctor. A lighter period for a day is nothing to worry about.

If you are having severe pain, this would warrant a call to your doctor.

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: