Q: 

What could change menstrual flow from heavy to light, mid-period?

By October 13, 2009 - 8:53pm

I normally have a heavy period, that lasts for about 6 days. I am on the 3rd day right now, and my flow suddenly went very light (it was heavy for the past two days, like normal). I'm 18 and have had my period since I was 10 and it's been regular and very predictable for the past year or so. What could cause the sudden change? I did get the TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine yesterday, that's the one thing I can think of that has been different with me lately, other than maybe stress from school... could either of those cause such a dramatic change?

Anonymous

Hello! I'm 19 and I've been on birth control for about 2.5 years now and usually I start every Tuesday morning of my placebo pills, but this Tuesday morning it came later in the day and much lighter than my usual period(usually heavy heavy) just worried about pregnancy! Bc I'm so use to it being so normal all these years and now it's different!

Hello Anon

If you were literally, just hours late, this is not a sign of pregnancy including a lighter than normal period. Perhaps a change in body chemistry caused this.

Anonymous

Hi,
I m 26 (married). I usually have a periods for 5days, 2 days heavy n 3 days light. But this month it last only for 3 days hardly in which 2 days the flow was heavy n 1 day it was light, I want to know is it OK? Or there could be any issue. As it happened 1st time with me so I am worried.

Hello Anon

Our periods can change anytime -sometimes they're heavy, sometimes less so. It doesn't signify anything other than our hormones at work.

Anonymous

Hi! I'm 14 years old with my 3rd time of having my period altogether. The 1st and 2nd time of my period was as usual normal and was fine. This third time is extremely light and barely anything at all on the 2nd day. Please help me as I don't understand what I should do.

hi this is my first time talking about this. recently i had sex with my boyfriend on the 14th. it wasnt protected but he didnt come inside. on my period calendar before, it said that my ovulation was on the 13th but now its saying its on the 14th. not only that, i have started on what i think is my period on the 28th. it started out heavy for the past two days, with blood clots, but on the third day (today the 30th) my period is very light. this concerns me as i do not want to be pregnant. im not sure if it is just me overthinking things but i have noticed that my breasts have been tender and i have been sick a lot these past couple of days. although this might be due to stress - which i am because i dont want to be pregnant.

i havent taken a pregnancy test and i havent gone to the doctors since i am trying to keep this a secret from my parents.

i have been reading about implantation bleeding and how it starts the same time as my period but only lasts two-three days. but it says that its light and shouldnt contain blood clots, but there is still a chance.

i need help as i am only 15 years old, i still have my whole life ahead of me.

Anonymous

I'm 15 and me and my boyfriend had sex Saturday and I got my period Monday and it started out light then went heaven and now it's back to light

If your question is about pregnancy then you can't be pregnant since you have your period. The flow of periods can be slow and heavy or light so that has no bearing.

Anonymous

Hello,

My husband and I have been trying for baby #2! Our daughter is only a year old. My last period was on February 18,2016 then the next was March 20th, 2016. we started trying for baby number 2 on April 13, 16, 18, 21, 22. On April 21 I had a clear stretchy discharge. April 25 I took a pregnancy test was negative, later that day I got my period. Started light then went heavy that same day. I had clots and everything. 2rd day it was still heavy and i was starting to get cramps which I couldn't tolerate. 4 day my period got light to the point I thought was done then like 30mins later I figured it wasn't gone since I wiped and it was very light. I have cramps, I'm bloated and feel very uncomfortable, I am also very emotional , feel very tired, I'm gassy, and im having a hard time falling asleep. My period usually last 7days and no clots no cramps. I still feel like I could have a chance of being pregnant, I actually feel pregnant... But I don't know , I want to get a pregnancy test but I'm scared of another negative. Do you think if I test today or withing a week I might get a slight positive?

Do you understand your cycle in terms of ovulation etc. If you had your period on March 20th and tried for a baby from April 13th on, you would have completely missed your fertile window for pregnancy.

You need to start trying for a baby within about 9 days of the start of your cycle. The first day of your cycle is the first day of your period so that would have been around March 29th and then through about April 7th or so. By the time the 13th came around, it would be far too late to start to try, your ovulation time would be long gone.

Your period and the symptoms are an indicator that you are not pregnant. A test can confirm this for you - and will answer your questions for you far better than I can! It does not sound like you are pregnant - start trying again in the next few days, do not wait for two weeks.

Good luck, I hope you have some good news soon!