What could change menstrual flow from heavy to light, mid-period?

By tenfortyfive October 13, 2009 - 8:53pm

I normally have a heavy period, that lasts for about 6 days. I am on the 3rd day right now, and my flow suddenly went very light (it was heavy for the past two days, like normal). I'm 18 and have had my period since I was 10 and it's been regular and very predictable for the past year or so. What could cause the sudden change? I did get the TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine yesterday, that's the one thing I can think of that has been different with me lately, other than maybe stress from school... could either of those cause such a dramatic change?

Anonymous

Hi there...well me and my boyfriend has been active for quite a while now... The last time we had sex was about 3-4 weeks back... My period came late... But it is really really light and im usually a heavy bleeder... Its very light almost orange like...its sticky and theres some clear stuff with... My period doesnt look consistant on my tampon... Theres brown spotting with this... My breast are tender and my abdominal area feels bloated and puffy... Any advice ?

Anonymous

Hi I am 14 and I got my period at 12 and it has always been heavy and now is lighter than usual. During the course of this year my period changed from flowing for 7-8 days and now 5-6 days not only shorter days but I have had nausea and other side effects. So what does it mean?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

This likely means your cycle is regulating itself over time due to your hormones changing during puberty. Your cycle may change in the next few years too. Then you may see fluctuations as an adult until your 50s when everything changes once more and you enter menopause. But for the most part your cycle should be pretty regular as an adult.

Anonymous

I use an iud. I tend to have extremes heavy periods even before I was on birth control. I normally cramp a couple days before my period starts but my cramps hurt really bad this time. I use my period tracker and my period came a day later than the tracker. Started off with red dots than brown spotting but when I wiped lots of red blood. Today I'm bleeding a little more but not as heavy as normal and I'm still cramping pretty bad. Still red blood when I wipe just not on the tampon. Is this normal? I have been a bit more stressed than usual and not eating as much.

Anonymous

I'm 20 and not active, my period was late for two weeks. My period has always been with heavy flow and red and now I'm on my third day and is light pink with clear stuff and not much comes out. Is that normal?

Anonymous

Hi am having a regular period its a 28/29day cycle.but my period is always very very light i use panty liners for it instead of pad and it lasts 3days everymonth. Been married for 3years and not pregnant. Should i be afraid???

Your periods sound normal, albeit quite light.

However, if you have been trying to get pregnant for three years you need to see a doctor to see if anything is wrong. Your husband also needs to be seen.

Anonymous

I'm 16 years old& I've been sexually active for a while. but this month I started my period and it's light. like way less than normal. last month was heavy, and the month before I believe was light. I've read that light = pregnant. and I'm freaking out!!!

Try to remain calm. Light does not mean pregnant. I assume you are using birth control each and every time you have sex - therefore your pregnancy risk is less than 5%. As long as you are getting your menstrual period, you're ok.

Anonymous

I lost my virginity on October 3. We used a condom and he said that he doesn't think anything got out. I got my period on October 22, but it was different than any other period. It lasted 6 days, but instead of gradually shifting from heavy to light like normal, I woke up on the third morning and it was really light, it did get heavier as the day went on though. It gradually got lighter over the next few days. There were clots in it too. In between this period and my next one I started getting nauseous and having headaches. I got my second period on November 24 (when it was due). The blood was browner than usual and it got lighter faster than it normally does. It lasted 5-6 days though and there were clots also. I've still been kind of nauseous and had headaches, lately I've noticed backaches too. I've also noticed that the area under my belly button is more firm than usual and that I can feel my heartbeat in my stomach. I have really bad anxiety and I've been worrying myself sick over this. I know the bleeding wasn't spotting or implantation bleeding, there was too much of it to be either. Is it possible that I'm pregnant? Or am I just overthinking and stressing myself out

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: