What could this period situation mean?

By January 7, 2014 - 10:54am

I hope I am posting in the correct place. I am wondering what to make of my situation. My cycle is between 28-33 days. I have had a normal period- for me this is medium flow day one to heavy for two and then medium for one before stopping. In Dec I had a 'period' it was very light, only there when I wiped and it was kind of watery red. Now in Jan- 19 days after Dec spotting- I had brown spotting when I wiped, followed with dark red blood only when wiping- there was no need for a pad or liner or anything like that. It went back to very little brown and then disappeared-almost three days. I have taken HPTs, negatives. My breasts feel heavy, I have headaches, and nausea at times. What could this possibly be?

Hi MelStar

There could be several things going on here.

You could have something going on with your reproductive system that is causing your period to be minimal to none. You would need to be evaluated by a doctor to see why. It could be PCOS ( http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/polycystic-ovary-syndrome) or a different kind of cyst (most are harmless).

If you have had three negative pregnancy tests we can rule that out.

Are you on birth control? What kind? Some women on birth control end up with very light periods or even none at all.

Have you been under stress? This could be another reason. So could being too light, too heavy or over-exercise.

Do any of these reasons strike a cord with you?

I have been told I do not have PCOS, I was just for that last physical. I went off BC last year,went back to my normal pattern and had not off periods. I have no stress and my exercise level is the same that it always has been. Nothing has changed for me routine wise or anything like that. Still strange..

HERWriter Guide (reply to MelStar)

Hi again MelStar

I'd give this situation another month or two to see if it comes back to normal. If it hasn't in two months, then your menstrual cycle has totally gone off track and may need another check up to check your hormone levels. How old are you?