Ears, Nose & Throat

Ears, Nose & Throat Guide

ask: What is the difference between chelated zinc and regular zinc?

By jetpackjenny

I was at the health food store a few days ago and noticed they had a selection of chelated zinc and just zinc. What's the difference? And how much zinc do I need?

Anonymous

The Mayo Clinic's guidlines are for elemental zinc. Even 100 mg of supplemental zinc only has a fraction of elemental zinc.

Anonymous

ATTN: DIABETICS : I was on 3 pills 3x day metformin 850 mg tab and 3 shots 3x day Inj Novo 100 units insulin novolin 70/30. No mater what I eat my blood suger was 700. My feet, Legs swoll and was turning black! I took 8 Magnesium with Chelated Zinc Pills 1000mg daily and took bath with 2 cups per day of Epsom Salt Magnesium Sulfate U.S.P. First day after first dose my blood suger fell to 350 it is currently 150! My legs and feet are cleariing up! This has taken 6 months! My doctor and medical staff became angry when they learned what I had done!

Anonymous

is there a zinc that does not cause you to turn red

Anonymous

Does Magnesium with chelated zinc cause weight gain?

Anonymous

The dermatologist neglected to mention that high doses of Zinc can lead to an Iron deficiency, causing anemia. Which, by the way, is especially dangerous for pregnant women. No one should start taking massive amounts of any OTC drug, vitamin or mineral without first researching any possible complications. If you're taking 50-100mg of Zinc per day for a week because you're coming down with a cold, you have to make sure to supplement with other vitamins and minerals you might need; in this case, at least Iron. Regardless, don't believe something you read on the Internet--including this post--without researching multiple sources. (That includes more sources than the following link.)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TCR-4WXBM8B-2...

Diane Porter

Anon,

If you read the previous questions about chelated zinc vs. regular zinc, you'll get the idea behind it -- it's a difference in absorption of the supplement by the body.

Here's a page of details about magnesium supplements. Slo-Mag is listed under magnesium chloride:

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Slo-Mag

If you're pregnant, you need to not take this supplement without talking to your doctors first.

Anonymous (reply to Diane Porter)

In order to achieve 8 mg or 11 mg of zinc per day, you actually need to consume more than that because your body absorbs approximately 20%-40% of the zinc it digests. It is safe to take zinc supplements with an approximate 40 mg – 50 mg zinc content on a daily basis. Do not exceed that amount unless you have consulted a physician! If you consume 100 mg – 500 mg per day, you will experience serious side effects. The longer you “overdose” on zinc, the worse your side effects will be.

Anonymous

what is the difference between magnesium with chelated zinc and magnesium (slo mag)?

Anonymous

Hi Anonymous.

I have a degree in dermatology and have studied the use of zinc as a method to cure acne and other skin related disorders for some time now, so I know what I'm talking about.

Honestly, ignore that comment made in the post by Diane P. She clearly has no experience. It has been proven that one can take up to a maximum of 100mg per day without experiencing hazardous side effects. However, the recommended daily allowance for the mineral is from 15mg to 60mg. For acne sufferers, an amount of 60-70mg of normal zinc is recommended or 30-50mg of chelated zinc.

If you taking zinc as a added supplement for your general health, an amount of 15mg (chelated zinc) or 30mg (zinc) is adequate.

Lastly, if a over the counter product is sold that contains a total of 50mg of chelated zinc then it can in no way pose a threat to your health, use the product you purchased daily and make sure to follow it's suggested intake.

Hope that helps.