What happens if you have stage 2 breast cancer and can't get treated for it cause you have no insurance?

By Anonymous February 28, 2009 - 5:46pm

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis and hope you find the help you need. I think Susan provided some wonderful resources. I noticed that EmpowHer has a link to chat and 800# to Cancer Treatment Centers of America on their breast cancer page, have you tried calling or chatting with them? I'm sure they could help your out or point you in the right direction since they specialize in cancer.

Please let us know if you find the help you need, I'll be following this post.

What about medicaid/state financial aid?

I am assuming it is you who has the cancer? I am so sorry that you are going through this - cancer is frightening enough - cancer with no health insurance can be devastating to think about.

But there is hope!! And we're here to show you where - and how!

There are many organizations and hospitals who offer free or very inexpensive care for cancer patients who have no insurance.

-My best advice to you is to contact the American Cancer Society immediately. They offer programs to give financial assistance to cancer patients.

-Many major hospitals also run these programs - contact the hospitals near you and ask for this department. Even if you had to move to be near a hospital that would provide care for no or low cost - it might be worth it.

-Contact Catholic Charities. You do NOT have to be Catholic, Christian or anything else. You simply have to be a human being. They help with prescription drugs, medical supplies and many other services.

-You can also contact Oprah Winfrey's Angel Network. Part of what they do is provide financial assistance to people who need treatment for illness.

-There is another option - consider becoming part of a clinical trial. The National Cancer Institute has much of the information you will need, including forms to fill out. Using your zip code, they can find the trials going on as close to you as possible. You can find all this, including application forms here:

-Are you part of a church? Do you know that more than 50% of religious organizations and churches either offer financial aid to those who need it for treatment, or can find an organization for you.

-If your annual income is less than $84,800, you can apply for free prescription drugs. An organization called Free Medicine can help you. The application form is right there on the home page:

-Consider having a fundraiser. Now is the time to ask your family, friends and coworkers for help. Even in these hard economic times, I'm sure people would be more than willing to contribute $20 or $30 and with a fundraiser, that could really add up. I know several people who held fundraisers (one had cancer, one had a terrible accident and had no insurance) and they helped enormously. If you are in a club, a church, a community organization or a member of any kind of group, they can help you out. I know that I would be thrilled to help someone out for such a worthy cause.

Please know that you CAN get treatment for cancer with no insurance. Never think that there is no-one to help you.

Please try all these resources and please let us know if we can help you more. There are many more organizations that help but all of the above are a good place to start.

Please keep us posted on how things are working. Keep the faith - there IS help out there for you.

Breast Cancer

Breast Cancer Guide