ask: What possible side effects of removing 1 ovary? Or should I have both removed?

By zoots July 21, 2008 - 8:00pm

Newbie here so I hope I'm doing this right....LOL I found out 3 years ago that I have 3 cysts on my right ovary. My gyne has been watching them closely via ultrasounds and CA125 blood tests because my mom had ovarian cancer 13 yrs. ago....alive and healthy!! My CA125 are within the normal ranges. Within the past year the cysts started growing a little bit. He first suggested removing the right ovary only but after my last ultrasound suggested removing both but also wanted me to go see an oncologist gynecologist. I went to see the Dr. that performed my mother's surgery and a very high rated doctor. I had an ultrasound done today and he called me to tell me that he does want to remove the right ovary for sure and gave me the option to remove both ovaries but not the uterus. The left ovary is healthy but given my history it's up to me. I am 47 and premenopausal. I feel I should only have the right one removed so that I do not go into instant menopause as I already suffer from mild depression. I am still trying to digest all this so any input would be appreciated. I should add I have a very supportive husband and family and of course they are leaving the decision up to me. Thanks so much!

I had my right ovary removed in emergency surgery 5 years ago because a cyst caused it to contort and my ovary died and turned septic inside of me (most painful thing I have ever had happen)! Since then I haven't had any change in my moods, I know for a fact that my left ovary hasn't picked up for the other one and still only ovulated every other month, but when it does ovulate it very rarely releases the egg as I have severe PCOS and have been told I will need to use IVF when I decide to have children.
One side effect I have noticed over the years is severe weight gain and inability to lose weight, yes I eat healthy and exercise, I have the odd treat here and there like a cupcake or a pie but not as much as some people I know who eat crap everyday and are skinny (that used to be me until my surgery).
Has anybody else noticed this? I have tried everything, I lose about 10kg when severely dieting but while on that diet it will start to increase again and if I have just one day off then guaranteed within a week I will be back up by at least 5kg.
After the surgery I got a lot of stretching in my tummy from the swelling and they never considered putting a drain in to try help, and now my tummy is bigger than the rest of me and something I am having to save up a lot of money to get fixed via more surgery just so I look normal again and comfortable in my own skin..

Has anybody else had this problem with their weight from either PCOS or overt removal or both??

Hello, four weeks ago I got my right ovary removed. I was wondering when should I exspect my next menstral cycle?

I had my left ovary removed and my cycle stayed the sale. I actually started my cycle 2 days after surgery.

I had my right ovary removed and a DNC done at the same time 1 week before my period started. I got mine back 1 week before my normal cycle. I'm assuming that the DNC was the cause of that. So I would assume that you should get it on time. In the case that you don't, just remember that every woman is different and don't be afraid to ask your doctor. You can never ask too many questions

I'm not sure the pain meds would cause your boobs to grow maybe worth speaking to your doctor as it could be your hormones. I have had 3 operations in the last 18 months to remove many many cyst which keep getting bigger, some have ruptured which resulted in me having my right ovary and Fallopian tube removed. I now experience quite a bit of pain during inter cause that side which ive been scanned for and awaiting gyne appointment! When they scanned me recently they noticed that I have a large cyst again on my other side so I'm expecting another operation due to my history! However since having my right ovary removed I have become increasing down, I don't even recognise myself or my irrational thoughts anymore. Feelings of leaving my husband as I am not good enough for him. Cry loads not eating or sleeping properly! It's been going on about 6-8 months now and I only opened up to my husband about this a couple days ago! He has been really supportive but I just don't know what to do to stop me feeling so pants. Could it be more hormones with having only one ovary removed?? Or am I just losing my head?

Desparate girl in need of some advise! X

Its just hormones. If they remove the other ovary I suggest talking to your doctor about hormone replacements. Its hard at first, but it does get better over time. I found that it helps to work on little crafts and projects to keep my mind off all the craziness going on in my mind. Just hang in there!

Hello, I am 20 years old and just had my right ovary removed along with a DNC( to remove a polyp) now all of the sudden my breast have gotten significantly larger. Is this normal? Could it be the pain medication that I am on? I'm not complaining at all, I would prefer them to continue getting larger, but I would like to know the cause of it.

My wife had ovarian cyst removed a few years ago. The cysts came back and her gyn told her that she should consider having one of her ovaries removed. She put her trust into the dr and had it done.
Since the surgery my wife's mode changed and nothing seems to make her happy. The slightest thing would set her off. I have been researching it and found that removal of a females ovary has a detrimental affect on a female. I wish I had done research prior to my wife having her ovary removed because I found that a lack of either iodine or iron can cause cysts to form and a regiment of either iron or iodine can reduce the size of the cyst and eventually cause the cysts to disappear. I would have had my wife go that route instead.I have spoken with my wife about her change and she becomes extremely defensive. I believe most of these Drs don't give a sh-t and do what ever they want with out thinking about how their actions affect their patient.
People need advocates and I'm telling you that u should do your research before having something done that may destroy the person that you are.

Could you please share more of what you found about mood changes after an ovary removal. I had one ovary removed 4 months ago and I've noticed a huge change in myself regarding my mood. I was told this would have no effect on my hormonals but I believe its having a huge effect.

I would just stick in there for our wife. I had my right ovary removed yesterday due to a cyst the size of a baseball. I was informed that I will go through hormonal changes until my left ovary kicks in and replaces the hormones that my other ovary was creating. If her moods having settled down by now I would suggest going to the doctor and asking for a hormone replacement. But just know that what she is experiencing is completely normal.

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :