ask: What possible side effects of removing 1 ovary? Or should I have both removed?

Newbie here so I hope I'm doing this right....LOL I found out 3 years ago that I have 3 cysts on my right ovary. My gyne has been watching them closely via ultrasounds and CA125 blood tests because my mom had ovarian cancer 13 yrs. ago....alive and healthy!! My CA125 are within the normal ranges. Within the past year the cysts started growing a little bit. He first suggested removing the right ovary only but after my last ultrasound suggested removing both but also wanted me to go see an oncologist gynecologist. I went to see the Dr. that performed my mother's surgery and a very high rated doctor. I had an ultrasound done today and he called me to tell me that he does want to remove the right ovary for sure and gave me the option to remove both ovaries but not the uterus. The left ovary is healthy but given my history it's up to me. I am 47 and premenopausal. I feel I should only have the right one removed so that I do not go into instant menopause as I already suffer from mild depression. I am still trying to digest all this so any input would be appreciated. I should add I have a very supportive husband and family and of course they are leaving the decision up to me. Thanks so much!

Anonymous

I'm not sure the pain meds would cause your boobs to grow maybe worth speaking to your doctor as it could be your hormones. I have had 3 operations in the last 18 months to remove many many cyst which keep getting bigger, some have ruptured which resulted in me having my right ovary and Fallopian tube removed. I now experience quite a bit of pain during inter cause that side which ive been scanned for and awaiting gyne appointment! When they scanned me recently they noticed that I have a large cyst again on my other side so I'm expecting another operation due to my history! However since having my right ovary removed I have become increasing down, I don't even recognise myself or my irrational thoughts anymore. Feelings of leaving my husband as I am not good enough for him. Cry loads not eating or sleeping properly! It's been going on about 6-8 months now and I only opened up to my husband about this a couple days ago! He has been really supportive but I just don't know what to do to stop me feeling so pants. Could it be more hormones with having only one ovary removed?? Or am I just losing my head?

Desparate girl in need of some advise! X

Its just hormones. If they remove the other ovary I suggest talking to your doctor about hormone replacements. Its hard at first, but it does get better over time. I found that it helps to work on little crafts and projects to keep my mind off all the craziness going on in my mind. Just hang in there!

Anonymous

Hello, I am 20 years old and just had my right ovary removed along with a DNC( to remove a polyp) now all of the sudden my breast have gotten significantly larger. Is this normal? Could it be the pain medication that I am on? I'm not complaining at all, I would prefer them to continue getting larger, but I would like to know the cause of it.

Anonymous

My wife had ovarian cyst removed a few years ago. The cysts came back and her gyn told her that she should consider having one of her ovaries removed. She put her trust into the dr and had it done.
Since the surgery my wife's mode changed and nothing seems to make her happy. The slightest thing would set her off. I have been researching it and found that removal of a females ovary has a detrimental affect on a female. I wish I had done research prior to my wife having her ovary removed because I found that a lack of either iodine or iron can cause cysts to form and a regiment of either iron or iodine can reduce the size of the cyst and eventually cause the cysts to disappear. I would have had my wife go that route instead.I have spoken with my wife about her change and she becomes extremely defensive. I believe most of these Drs don't give a sh-t and do what ever they want with out thinking about how their actions affect their patient.
People need advocates and I'm telling you that u should do your research before having something done that may destroy the person that you are.

I would just stick in there for our wife. I had my right ovary removed yesterday due to a cyst the size of a baseball. I was informed that I will go through hormonal changes until my left ovary kicks in and replaces the hormones that my other ovary was creating. If her moods having settled down by now I would suggest going to the doctor and asking for a hormone replacement. But just know that what she is experiencing is completely normal.

Anonymous

Hi every one need answers here when I was 13 I had a 20cm cyst on my left ovary and had to get them removed but still had 2 little cyst left the doctors said they will go away haven't had a scan for 6 years to check up on that some times when I wake up I don't know why it hurts on the left side where I had my ovary taken out any comments on this

Hi I just want to tell u my story I'm not trying to scare u 5 days ago I got rushed to the er in bad bad pain I had a cist on my left overy I hadn't been filling good but ignored it and continued to work and go about my every day life. I got to the er and my left overie had flipped upside down and ruptures I was bleeding to death I lost 2 liters of blood I got rushed into surgery and they removed it and stopped the bleeding I am 26 years old and I never think about my health and it almost cost me my life I had to have a blood transfusion it was a very scary freak thing I have 2 baby's as well. My advice to u since it has been 6 years go to the doctor and please don't ignore anything unusual. I wish u the best of luck and I will defiantly keep u in my prayers.

Hey..i got one of ma ovary removed due to a 15 cm twisted cyst..i am 23 now..ma mom wants me to settle down..have babies.. She worries that it may b..god forbid.. a problem for me...later on..to conceive ..can some1 help ...plz help me..i m feeling horrible

Anonymous

Wow so many stories on here, was great hearing everyone elses stories.
I had one of my ovaries removed when I was 13 due to a cyst which had twisted and they couldn't save my ovary. 10yrs later and I have so many more questions.
What are the long term effects? Will I go into menopause earlier? Are my hormone levels different and are they going to change differently as i get older? Do I have a decreased chance of conceiving a child because it has been gone for so long?
I take the pill and I still have my period regularly so presumably everything is still ok for the moment anyway.

Anonymous

Hi I'm liza,35. I had an ectopic pregnancy when I was 23. It was already ruptured so my left ovary was removed. Then unfornately 5 years after I had another ectopic pregnancy and the right ovary is removed. Just wondering why I'm still having my monthly period. Is it possible that that my right ovary is still here or still possible that a woman can still hv period even both ovaries are romoved?

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :