ask: What possible side effects of removing 1 ovary? Or should I have both removed?

Newbie here so I hope I'm doing this right....LOL I found out 3 years ago that I have 3 cysts on my right ovary. My gyne has been watching them closely via ultrasounds and CA125 blood tests because my mom had ovarian cancer 13 yrs. ago....alive and healthy!! My CA125 are within the normal ranges. Within the past year the cysts started growing a little bit. He first suggested removing the right ovary only but after my last ultrasound suggested removing both but also wanted me to go see an oncologist gynecologist. I went to see the Dr. that performed my mother's surgery and a very high rated doctor. I had an ultrasound done today and he called me to tell me that he does want to remove the right ovary for sure and gave me the option to remove both ovaries but not the uterus. The left ovary is healthy but given my history it's up to me. I am 47 and premenopausal. I feel I should only have the right one removed so that I do not go into instant menopause as I already suffer from mild depression. I am still trying to digest all this so any input would be appreciated. I should add I have a very supportive husband and family and of course they are leaving the decision up to me. Thanks so much!

Anonymous

Wow so many stories on here, was great hearing everyone elses stories.
I had one of my ovaries removed when I was 13 due to a cyst which had twisted and they couldn't save my ovary. 10yrs later and I have so many more questions.
What are the long term effects? Will I go into menopause earlier? Are my hormone levels different and are they going to change differently as i get older? Do I have a decreased chance of conceiving a child because it has been gone for so long?
I take the pill and I still have my period regularly so presumably everything is still ok for the moment anyway.

Anonymous

Hi I'm liza,35. I had an ectopic pregnancy when I was 23. It was already ruptured so my left ovary was removed. Then unfornately 5 years after I had another ectopic pregnancy and the right ovary is removed. Just wondering why I'm still having my monthly period. Is it possible that that my right ovary is still here or still possible that a woman can still hv period even both ovaries are romoved?

Hi Liza, periods have nothing to do with ovaries. It is the lining of your uterus that is shedding itself every month. Ovaries release the eggs which, when fertilised, attaches itself to the uterus lining. That is why women menstruate when they aren't pregnant, because the uterus lining renews itself every month!

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Liza,

Once both ovaries are removed, a woman no longer menstruates, her periods stop, and she is no longer able to conceive naturally.

Have you spoken with your gynecologist about this? Please keep us updated once you speak with your doctor. I am curious and baffled:)

Regards,

Anonymous

My left ovary removed at the age of 24 because of ovary twisted and cyst of 10 cm, no sex experience until i got married of 32. after 3 years of trying to get pregnant at last we got one with high expectation that it was for real but when the ultrasound was schedule there is no baby found inside my tummy..so my doctor decided to abort the placenta and etc that was inside...It was the most painful, horrible and terrifying moment in my life, it made me insane for almost 7 months until my husband told me that I am pregnant again(another shocking moment for me...)Now, I had my 3 years old very handsome boy healthy and intelligent for at His age He can identify letters, numbers and can memorize the lyric of the songs and can sing well...planning to have a baby girl soon ...God's Will....

I wish you normal pregnancy with a healthy baby.
I had the same operation at 23 . my doctor forced me to have my first baby as a lot of blood was inside the belly for one week!
I have 2 lovely kids , they grow up now.
I am still worry about early menopause.

no body knows what will happen in future, take vare :)

Thank you for giving me hope. My 14 yr old daughter is having her left ovary removed because of a 10cm twisted cyst. I am terrified for her

Anonymous

I'm 37 and in the past three years have had both ovaries removed and been diagnosed with Stage 2C ovarian cancer. I had my appendix and momentum removed and have been clean since. I still have some bleeding even though I am on Birth control pills for hormones. I have noticed that I can't seem to lose any weight. I am extremely active...I crossfit everyday, cycle every other day, run and swim every other day, but still do not see weight loss. I do see results muscle wise, but my belly fat is still high. The surgery has changed a lot of my life, I still enjoy sex, but find myself having to remind myself about having it. LOL I am tired but supplement that with B12 and other vitamins, my bones do feel different but that could just be from the exercise. I will say that having the ovaries gone is emotional, I call it the equivalent of having the testicles removed. It saved my life and my husbands life, because now I can be with him longer. If anyone can tell me how to improve weight loss and fatigue that would be awesome. Prayers for all and remember it's about improving the quality of life!!

Look all you have to do girl is come at in a different way.Lots of women think being on a diet or taking pills or special food is the ticket but, its not. I myself am a mother of five children and if I've learned anything its that food has power. Or should I say special powers. Do you ever feel yourself ever carving a certain meal or just maybe a favorite snack? Yeah that's you'r bodies way of telling you it needs something you'r not eating.You can look up what foods help boost you'r estrogen , but I would have a doctor check estrogen levels before eating to many estrogen producing foods. Also there are foods you can eat that act as estrogen but are not. With you having Ovarian cancer. You should take it easy on you'r uterus. Just by letting you kids or husband bounce around on you'r uterus . May cause other serious fatigue. Okay first orange juice is one of the main drinks that can cause you'r body to store fat. Stay away! Next whole wheat bread is another fat magnet , also Margarine. Not butter just Margarine. I use a great flax seed oil butter its by smart balance its great. One more tip. Any drink with these ingredients will store fat. Instead of lose it when you'r already struggling to lose the weight . High Fructose Corn Syrup, Dextrose, and any concentrated juice. So many people mistake food. For food When its just fat in a bottle ,but anyone and everyone dose. . Only one more tip a Hormone by the name Adiponectin can help burn fat almost forgot that one. Don't kno if i spelled it right though. Green tea is an excellent source of it.Taking certain foods out of your diet and putting others in will help just read different things about different foods. an stay positive. Good luck!

Anonymous

Hi,
10 years back when I was 26 I got a large cyst on my left overy and it got removed using laproscopy along with the left overy. I was told that if my periods are regular then I am OK. Now I am 36 unmarried. Recently I am trying to have sex with my boy friend, but sometimes I am having pain and a couple of times I was little satisfied. Is there anything to deal with it. And my major concern is do I have chances to get pregnant. If I have to confirm it through the doctor, what I have to ask my doctor.

Thanks in advance.

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide

Have you joined the IUD trend? What kind of birth control do you use? :