Q: 

When I wake up it feels like my organs are being/have been crushed...?

By December 6, 2009 - 9:44am

This happens just about every morning, but the sensation only lasts for about 10-30 minutes after I wake up, or until I forget about it. I'm 18, 5'9" and weigh ~140 pounds. I've been known to have breathing problems (asthma in the past, I took medication for it, then I began to have new breathing problems, they rediagnosed me as MISdiagnosed, took me off the asthma medication, and now I'm not on anything but my symptoms have decreased). Also, it doesn't seem to be a full bladder problem, as I go to the bathroom just before bed, and don't really have to go when I wake up. I generally sleep on my side, but my sleeping positions really vary (I never sleep on my stomach, though). I just thought it was some form of sleep apnea, because my mom used to say that I would breathe very slowly in my sleep. What do you all think?

Anonymous

I also experience this. I honestly think it is the mattress. My back hurts, I toss and turn and when I wake it hurts to breathe. I wake in the night thinking all my organs are hurting. I bet if I got a new bed I'd feel great.

Anonymous

Wow, I had no idea so many other people are struggling with this issue. Although I did not find any information that is helpful to me, it is a bit of a relief to know that I am not the only one. I have been trying to treat it with acupuncture, chiropractic, and craniotomy-sacral manipulation. I am not sure any of it helps.

Anonymous

I have also experienced this. I've been searching through forums but can't find anything! I'm 14 5'5" and 117Lbs. When I wake up it feels like someone has been crushing my organs and it hurts to get up.I try and bring it up to my parents but my mom just says it's probably cramps when it's not. I have had teeth problems and am diagnosed with depression and anxiety. Help. What do I do? SIncerely, Sleepless

Anonymous

I woke up like this today and looked online for a answer and found this post.
The answer I found was FIBROMYALGIA which I was diagnosed with many years ago. i only get this pain every so often, it's awful, crushing is the right word.
So please ladies look up fibromyalgia.

Anonymous

I've had the same feeling every morning of crushed organs/rib cage and suffer with Acid reflux (I don't get acid in my throat just the pain in my rib cage both sides) for which I take Omeprozole. I thought my weight may be the reason I get this feeling every morning but now believe it's the acid in my upper stomach causing it. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Anonymous

This happens to me ONLY when I sleep in my boyfriends bed, but NEVER in my own bed. I have a memory foam mattress and it is very comfortable; however, my boyfriend has a regular spring mattress and it dips in where my lower back sits. So I've come to the conclusion that the dipping of his bed (towards the middle of his bed) is what pains my lower back/organ area. I feel the pain on my insides and I think it's definitely his mattress that causes my pain since my bed never does this to me. Try getting a new mattress and see if the pain continues.There are great priced Memory Foam mattresses on Overstock. That's where I got mine :)

Anonymous

I have this problem too. I often wake up with what feels like stabbing pains in my sides. I'm 14 and perfectly healthy. I've never had any serious work done on my teeth either. I don't think I have sleep apnea-I'm a cross country runner and have been told that my heart and lungs are incredibly strong for my age. Could it still be sleep apnea?

Anonymous

I know this pain all too well and have searched online for, what feels like, forever to find a solution.

Turns out, I found it on my own !

After waking up in the middle of the night with (unrelated) insane pain in my upper back, between my shoulder blades, I sat up and after being unable to crack my back, I put my hands on the back of my head and tilted my head downwards, holding my chin very close to my chest, but not touching -- stretching my back muscles, until my back loosened up.

Woke up the next morning without the pain that makes my organs feel as though they've been crushed from within.

Tested my hypothesis and after stretching my back, by tilting my head down with the slight pressure of the weight of my hands on top, I would wake up with zero pains in my "organs." Nights I didn't stretch before bed, I'd wake with those pains. If I stretched during the day a few times, it'd also help and I'd wake with no pains without stretching my back/neck before bed.

So here's exactly what to do:
Sit either straight up or with legs bent and use them as arm rests
Place hands (I usually interlock my fingers) on the back of your head
Tilt head downwards towards your chest
Just sit like that and you can feel everything stretching out
No need to apply any extra pressure, other than just the weight of your hands, but you can apply a small amount of pressure, just don't hurt yourself !!

Simple solution yet a difficult find ! I'm so glad I found this out, it has literally changed my life. I dreaded waking up with those pains and now, I don't worry. I hope this helps some, if not all, if you !!!

Anonymous

I have been suffering this for a few years and have no idea what causes it. However, recently I discovered that when I drink a cup of hot water, the pain and discomfort goes away very quickly, often within two minutes.

Anonymous

If you have ever had work done on your teeth it very well could be the problem . I my self am 37 and the past 6 years found my self getting worse from them( root canale) if a tooth is bad it should come out plane and simple. Unless you can get ozone injected in it. Ower body will reject anything foreign. Maybe you wont experience anything right away but when your amune system gets tired you will.

Breathing Conditions

Breathing Conditions Guide