Q: 

When I wake up it feels like my organs are being/have been crushed...?

By December 6, 2009 - 9:44am

This happens just about every morning, but the sensation only lasts for about 10-30 minutes after I wake up, or until I forget about it. I'm 18, 5'9" and weigh ~140 pounds. I've been known to have breathing problems (asthma in the past, I took medication for it, then I began to have new breathing problems, they rediagnosed me as MISdiagnosed, took me off the asthma medication, and now I'm not on anything but my symptoms have decreased). Also, it doesn't seem to be a full bladder problem, as I go to the bathroom just before bed, and don't really have to go when I wake up. I generally sleep on my side, but my sleeping positions really vary (I never sleep on my stomach, though). I just thought it was some form of sleep apnea, because my mom used to say that I would breathe very slowly in my sleep. What do you all think?

Anonymous

I am 23, 5'6 and 140 pounds. I have been dealing with this for a couple of years now. First it started with dry heaving every morning and then the acid reflux began. Now every morning I wake up at around 6:30am and my abdomen hurts and my back and its pretty much my entire torso that hurts. Someone I know has the same issues and all blood tests and gluten allergy tests etc come back negative. A specialist refused to do a scope on me (camera in the stomach) because he thought I wasn't serious enough.I wake up constantly with acid reflux and its so painful I am actually making "hhhuuhhhhh" sounds and my boyfriend wakes up and has to get me gaviscon etc.

Anonymous

I'm 47 and sleep on my side (don't really toss/turn). I have a good mattress. Whenever I wake (during night & mornings) I feel like all my organs have fallen to the side I slept on. My spine is stiff and it's hard to breathe. I feel like someone who has been in a bad car accident. It takes forever to go away. Most of the time I have to use my "tens unit" just to get some release. I have had deep tissue massages but nothing really stops it from happening. Any insight?

Anonymous

I'm 15 and 5'6 and I wake up every morning with this pain in the middle of my left side. Most of the time it goes away 10-15 minutes after I wake up but today I still have the pain 30 minutes later. I've tried to stretch, sit in different positions, drink water and nothing seems to be helping and it's worse today than I've ever felt

Anonymous

I also experience this. I honestly think it is the mattress. My back hurts, I toss and turn and when I wake it hurts to breathe. I wake in the night thinking all my organs are hurting. I bet if I got a new bed I'd feel great.

Its not the mattress I promise. My husband just bought us a new mattress and this IS still hapoening to me I still wake up everyday feeling like this. It really ALL began right after my second child and now right about a year after my third it is still progressing with no sign of letting up at all. I promise mine is not happening because of the mattress...its way beyond that and unbelievably scary

Anonymous

Wow, I had no idea so many other people are struggling with this issue. Although I did not find any information that is helpful to me, it is a bit of a relief to know that I am not the only one. I have been trying to treat it with acupuncture, chiropractic, and craniotomy-sacral manipulation. I am not sure any of it helps.

Anonymous

I have also experienced this. I've been searching through forums but can't find anything! I'm 14 5'5" and 117Lbs. When I wake up it feels like someone has been crushing my organs and it hurts to get up.I try and bring it up to my parents but my mom just says it's probably cramps when it's not. I have had teeth problems and am diagnosed with depression and anxiety. Help. What do I do? SIncerely, Sleepless

Anonymous

I woke up like this today and looked online for a answer and found this post.
The answer I found was FIBROMYALGIA which I was diagnosed with many years ago. i only get this pain every so often, it's awful, crushing is the right word.
So please ladies look up fibromyalgia.

I have had this sensation for years and was told it was due to IBS. Sometimes I feel like my insides are being squeezed and sometimes they feel like mush. So because of irregularity you get from IBS due to fibromyalgia. Water water water!

No its not fibromyalgia. You would be in a lot of pain for a lot longer than 30 mins. You are all young. You need to realize you girl are going through hormone and body changes. Growth spurts can and will cause pain and discomfort. My only suggestion is to stretch before going to bed and drink lots of water. If you still think its a serious problem you need to tell your parents that something is wrong.

Breathing Conditions

Breathing Conditions Guide