White milky discharge

By August 24, 2010 - 8:20am

Hi. About a month ago, my boyfriend and I were intimate. Right before we were intimate with each other, I just finished my period, which was very light, and was the second time it occurred that month. For the next few days after I was intimate, I became slightly bloated. Fast forward about three weeks, I still haven't gotten my period for this month, and it's worrying me a lot. When we were intimate, we used protection, and there were no tears in the condom. This month, I haven't gotten my period yet, but during the past couple of days, there has been a lot of white, non-odorous milky discharge. I have also been feeling some cramps on my lower left abdomen, as well as emotional moodiness. Is the discharge normal, or a sign of something else?

All of your symptoms can either indicate an upcoming period, or a pregnancy. The symptoms (unfortunately) are almost identical, since hormones are the culprit in both. Women have discharge throughout their cycles, and an increase in discharge can indicate a period (or pregnancy); same with moodiness. Cramping is most likely period-related.

If you had protected sex, your risk of pregnancy is almost non-existent. (Nothing is 100% effective except abstinence, of course!).

What was the date of your last menstrual period (LMP)---the day you started bleeding?
When are you expecting your next period?

You can always take a home pregnancy test, once you have missed your expected period and it has been at least 2 weeks since intercourse, to rule out pregnancy.

(reply to Alison Beaver)

Hi Alison,

Thanks for getting back to me :) The last time I started my menstrual period was July 24, and lasted 4 days (light flow for the duration of the cycle). Prior to that cycle, I had another menstrual period from July 9/10 to July 14/15 (light-moderate flow for the duration of the cycle). That alone isn't normal, would you be able to give some advice on that?

I'm expecting my period to be sometime during this week, if what I have been reading on the internet has been right, and with the notes I have been making regarding my menstrual periods, it should be occurring every three-four weeks.

Thanks :)

HERWriter Guide (reply to pink.sparkles8)

Hi pink.sparkles8!

The flow of your period isn't of concern - a period is a period. For any number of reasons, we can have a lighter period one month and a really heavy one the next. So it's more normal that you'd think! As long as you're getting your periods, you cannot be pregnant.

If your last period was around July 24, then your next period should be arriving any day now. Since your periods seem to be irregular, you may always be a week early or late; and sometimes on time. I know this is very frustrating. The birth control pill can help with irregularly but bear in mind that all medications have risks as well as benefits.

You can always take a pregnancy test to ease your mind, too, but since you used protection that worked properly, I suspect you'll be getting your period soon. Keep us posted, ok?