why is my period a month long?

By February 18, 2015 - 7:39pm

I got my period 3 years ago its always been really long anywhere between 20 to 30 days and only 2 weeks or a little more in between its pretty light except maybe a few days here and there. It will stop for a day sometimes and then start again I am currently on my period right now and my last period was very unusual for me it was extremely heavy for 5 days it was so bad that every time I moved there would be blood clots the size of my hand and bleeding was so bad that I would bleed through a pad in 20 min if I didn't have any clots, I tried taking a bath just to get half way clean cause I was so full of blood and I was only in the water for 15 min and it looked like someone has slaughtered a pig in there

Hi Talia185

This is not normal. 

The length of a menstrual period varies from two days to seven days, on average 28 days apart. However, this cycle can vary too and anything between 24 and 35 days is considered normal.

If you are having periods that are lasting two weeks or longer this is abnormal, unless you are approaching menopause (usually between the ages of 45-55). Extra-long periods can result from hormonal changes and in women of this age range can be taken as a sign of the impending "change".

Other causes of extra-long periods include:

• Having uterine fibroids

• Having polyps in the uterus

• Having endometriosis (a disease where the lining of the uterus grows in other parts of the body)

• Having pelvic inflammatory disease

• Having a temporary hormonal imbalance, for instance, when changing hormonal contraception

• A condition called dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB). Doctors don’t know what causes DUB and may diagnose you with it if they cannot find a cause for your bleeding.

If there is no obvious physical cause, particularly if you are middle-aged, the doctor may like to wait and see as some cases are down to menopause or a temporary hormonal imbalance that corrects itself without treatment.

A pelvic examination and ultrasound scan of the uterus will be carried out to see if there are any abnormalities and a biopsy of uterine tissue may be taken.

If there are fibroids, polyps or endometrial lining present where it shouldn’t be -- this can be surgically removed which should help regulate your periods.

Other treatments include hormone replacement therapies, some brands of the pill that make period’s lighter, and anti-inflammatory medications (these reduce blood loss).

Nutritional supplements may also be needed to replace the nutrients lost by excessive bleeding.

Please see your doctor.