why would my period be delayed?

I have a 7 month old baby and I haven't ever paid much attention to my period. I know it came on December 24, and January 24th. We had sex at the beginning of January prior to my period. We've gone through a lot and haven't done it recently but I haven't gotten my period for February and now that it's March I'm nervous and worried. Couldn't I rule out pregnancy because I got my period after and now it's just late? I'm wondering if it's because of my body getting back to normal. I've actually lost about 12 lbs since then and have been exercising a lot. any ideas?

Congratulations on your baby! 

If you got a period after sex and haven't had sex yet, then pregnancy is highly unlikely. 

Are you breastfeeding? This can cause periods to be irregular. 

Under eating and over exercising can cause the menstrual cycle to become irregular too. 

It's fantastic that you are losing the baby weight but don't overdo things.  

If you are still concerned, a pregnancy test can let you know where you stand.  I'm sure your period will be along soon.