Worried about my mother?

My mother currently has a water infection resulting in nephritis (kidney inflammation) and she is taking antibiotics to get rid of it. However, she has ovarian cysts (quite large ones) on both ovaries. She is also 47 and is currently perimenopausal. What worries me is that she is bleeding with this, it's not like her period (usually heavy to the point of flooding) but spotting. She also a hernia and high blood pressure, she is on oernament medication for both and due an operation on her cysts and hernia.

Is this irregular bleeding usual with a water infection? Or could it be something else? Her symptoms aren't not clearing as she has been like this for over a week.

Thank you Susan.

I think it is a UTI but she just said a severe water infection.

An update from today is that she has started to pass large clots/tissue pieces on her pad or in the bath. It's very worrying as that along with her PCOS and other health problems, surely the bleeding and tissue pieces comin out are not from the UTI? It also can't be her period as she finished hers around 2 weeks ago, it was very heavy to the point she flooded and used 24 sanitary towels over 6 days. It's worrying as her side of the family do not live long (both of her parents never reached the age of 60) and my dad is due for a kidney stone operation. I'm 16 and my sister is away at university so both of them together being ill is gonna strain my college studies and my mental health issues (GAD).

I will be contacting her doctor tomorrow morning.

Thank you and I hope for a reply soon.

Hi again
There is not much more info we can give you other than talk to her doctor- your mom is only in her 40s (like me!) so she also needs to be proactive in talking with her doctors. You're being a great daughter!

No problem, you have been a great help in calming my nerves over this. I'm sure once she has taken her course of antibiotics she will be fine. I will still be contacting her doctor as she doesn't want to, I just want to make sure she is seen to properly and nothing is overlooked :)

Thank you for your question!

By water infection do you mean a urinary tract infection?

A kidney infection is quite serious and can result in blood in the urine. Since her doctor is aware of this and she is being medicated, I assume her doctor feels this will clear up.

Cysts can cause irregular bleeding but it's possible too her period may be starting. Could this be the case?
Medication can cause spotting - this may also be a reason.

However, it's a good idea for her to call her doctor to seek advice.

I hope she feels better soon.