I was married to a man with ME for 14 years. He had a heart byepass and eventually died of cancer.I wish he were alive today to see the breakthrough of xmrv as he always felt doctors believed he was shamming. I myself have not felt 100/% over the last 3 years although I am 65 years old. I physically die off fairly quickly and have no energy. I have other symptoms that vary and the latest is an extremely dry mouth that I cannot swallow. My eyes get irritated also. Thinking that it is believed that the mrv can be transmitted through semon has me slightly worried amd I do not worry easy.

Thanks so much for your question and welcome to Empowher!

XMRV is not a well known virus at all so it's good to talk about it. And you are correct - many people suffering from this have been accused of faking it, much like people used to be accused of faking terrible fatigue and flu-like symptoms to find out they have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Fibromyalgia. In fact, many people with CFS also have XMRV.

I think the reason you fear you may have it, spread through your husband's semen, is that XMRV is considered to be in a similar viral family as the HIV/AIDS virus. But as of yet, it's not known exactly how the XMRV virus started, or whether it is a direct result of CFS or the HIV virus, and there is also evidence that it is linked to prostate cancer. Other researchers believe that ME is actually CFS. It's a tricky area because researchers are coming up with different theories - thus compounding confusion about XMRV.

There is no cure as yet, and studies are ongoing but there is also some evidence that it is sexually transmitted.

A test for XMRV is in the works right now and is thought to be ready some time next year.

I'm very sorry about the loss of your husband. What kind of cancer did he die from? Was it prostate cancer?

For more information and support, head to the ME Association and you'll find lots of information here regarding ME, CFS and XMRV. It's a British website but the information is all the same. www.meassociation.org.uk

If you have Myspace or Facebook, the have a support group on these sites also.

Have you spoken to your own doctor about your symptoms?