Millennials have officially made their mark as the nation’s largest living generation coming in at 75.4 million, exceeding the number of Baby Boomers at 74.9 million.(2)
The Baby Boomer generation is made up of anyone from the ages of 51 to 69, whereas the Millennial generation consists of people in the age group of 18 to 34, in 2015.
Surgical cosmetic procedures have been consistently popular among both of these generations over time. Which procedures come in as the most popular for our nation’s largest living generation?
Let’s take a look at the top five cosmetic surgery trends for Millennials, according to The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).
1) Breast Augmentation
Coming in as the most popular surgical procedure, at 146,430 procedures in 2015, is breast augmentation.(1)
This surgery is done to: make breasts more symmetrical, to enlarge them to desired size, to restore the original shape and size after pregnancy, weight loss or breastfeeding, and to restore the breasts after a surgery that affected the shape and size such as breast cancer.
A lot of needs are being met by just one surgery. This is most likely why breast augmentation comes in as the most popular cosmetic surgery among Millennials.
While this surgical procedure is the most popular among all age groups, it comes in at number two for Millennials. In 2015, this surgical procedure was performed 110,669 times on Millennials.(1)
3) Nose Surgery
Taking the third spot for popularity among Millennials is nose surgery. Also known as rhinoplasty, this surgery can be done for either cosmetic reasons or to correct impaired breathing due to the structure of the nose.(4)
The number of rhinoplasty procedures done In 2015 was 67,563 surgeries.(1)
4) Breast Reduction
Reduction mammoplasty, more commonly known as breast reduction, comes in as the fourth most popular procedure done among Millennials.
These 28,281 procedures only include women as patients.Read more in HER Beauty
1) Cosmetic Surgery National Data Bank Statistics. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Accessed September 12, 2016.
2) Millennials Overtake Baby Boomers as America's Largest Generation. Pew Research Center. Accessed September 13, 2016.
3) What is Breast Augmentation? What Are Breast Implants? Medical News Today. Accessed September 13, 2016.
4) Cosmetic Surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Accessed September 13, 2016.
5) Reconstructive Procedures. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Accessed September 13, 2016.