Choosing the right form of birth control for you can be a difficult process that involves a lot of research and trial and error. I was on birth control pills before I made the switch to the non-hormonal IUD (intrauterine device), also known as the Paragard. I would often forget to take my birth control pill at the right time everyday and found the hormones of the pill itself hard on my body.
In my desire to rid myself of the negative effects of birth control pills and other hormonal forms of birth control, I chose to get a Paragard IUD. While I only just got my IUD recently, I am already reaping the benefits of it and would recommend it to anyone tired of having to take a pill everyday.
If you choose to get a non-hormonal IUD, you can enjoy the following benefits too:
1. It’s almost 100 percent effective. The Paragard IUD is more than 99 percent effective in preventing pregnancy. Just let that sink in that you can have a birth control that will never leave you with that worrying feeling of whether or not it really worked. Condoms are only about 82 percent effective due to common user errors, according to Planned Parenthood.
2. You’re protected from pregnancy for up to 10 years. You don’t have to worry about an accidental pregnancy for 10 years if you choose to keep it in for the entire span of the IUD’s life. This is the most long-term reversible birth control option there is, with the hormonal IUD lasting only up to about 5 years.
3. You never have to think about your birth control. You no longer have to remember to take your pill at 9:30 a.m. every day for the rest of your reproductive life. Nor do you have to worry about having a condom on hand or using an emergency contraceptive. The Paragard IUD will keep working for those 10 years without any effort on your part.
4. You can have it removed at any time. Maybe you will decide that you do not want to keep it in for 10 years. Anytime after you get the Paragard IUD implanted you can return to your gynecologist to have it removed, leaving your body immediately ready to conceive. You can simply remove it and easily carry on with your life while not worrying about the leftover hormonal effects that you see with other forms of birth control after you stop their use.
5. You don’t have to worry about the effects of hormones. Hormonal birth controls can create a lot of negative side effects in your body. You can see weight gain, acne, bleeding when you’re not on your period and tenderness in your breasts. It might even lower your desire to have sex at all. Because the Paragard IUD has no hormones in it, these are much less of a concern, however, it has been known to increase the intensity of cramping during periods.
6. It could be covered by your insurance company. The only thing better than protection from pregnancy for 10 years is when you can get it at no cost to you. Check with your healthcare provider to see if the Paragard IUD is covered. The cost of the Paragard without help from insurance can cost up to $1,000.Read more in Being HER