Q: 

Does anyone else sneeze after eating mints?

By July 25, 2008 - 10:26am

With near predictability I sneeze following the intake of mint whether it's gum, a breath mint, Listerine breath strips, or something else. I've now come to refer to these items as Sneezey Treats. Following the two sneezes, there are no other symptoms. I don't break out in hives, no watery eyes, nothing.

Anyone else got this going on? I obviously don't need to rush to the emergency room and the solution is even more obvious -- stop consuming this stuff, right -- but am looking for fellow MSPs -- or mint sensitive people. Any out there?

Anonymous

You are not alone and I’m glad I’m not either. This little trick of mine makes people laugh as I go through my sneeze routine after eating a mint

Anonymous

I literally just had an Altoid and went on a sneezing fit of about 8 or so sneezes. Usually its only 1 or 2 times. I am so glad I'm not alone in this. MSP's for life!

Anonymous

I also have this problem lol. I only found that it happens when I eat minty gum I start having a mini sneeze attack

Anonymous

I have always sneezed after either eating a peppermint or even peppermint toothpaste and always from my favorite schnapps ouzo! It's usually twice, and I quite like the feeling! Everyone I'm with waits for it, then laughs!

Lol I’m so happy that you experience this odd feeling on liking it as well. Hahaha, I sneeze 2 times and no other symptoms, but boy they sure are good sneezes!! Lol so glad I’m not alone

Anonymous

It's so annoying, I just want fresh breath, these are harsh sneezes as well, knock the stuffing out of me!

Anonymous

i thought i was alone too hahahaha my people

Anonymous

Mint, chocolate, and cough syrup... EVERYTIME! You are my people!

Anonymous

I have found my people! I sneeze every time I eat chocolate chips or mint gum. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Anonymous

My brother and I are both MSPs :-) and have been since we were kids. Depending on how strong the mint is, we sneeze either once, twice or, if really strong, 3 to 4 times. Without exception. Our parents used to hand us a tissue with every mint they gave us. Lately my boyfriend started to pick up on this 'hobby' as well but that might just be wanting to look cool like us ;-) No idea why or how we got it but it might be hereditary!

Food Allergies

Food Allergies Guide

Guide