Q: 

How many days will sperm survive in a woman on birth control?

I started birth control a month and a half ago. Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex for two weeks, I was taking my pill perfectly the entire time, exact time and everything. However, I begin to get an extremely irregular period that lasted about 2 weeks (normally have 5 day long periods). So I stopped taking that birth control for 3 days of of fear! We had sex last on Thursday the 25th of June at about 8 p.m the last birth control pill I took was on Sunday the 28th of June, (those three days after we had sex last, I took the pill perfectly). I missed, Mon the 29th, tues the 30th, and weds the 1st and on Thursday took 2 pills, and started taking them regularly again. My concern is that I may be pregnant, because sperm can survive inside me for 5 consecutive days. We did not have any sex at all after the 25th. Is it extremely likely I am pregnant?

I’ve been taking birth control pills for months and my husband finished inside of me last night. However, I really want to stop taking the medication because my side effects have been horrible. I planned on stopping taking them today, but I learned that sperm can live in me for 5 days. Is it safe for me to stop taking the medicine the day after unprotected sex? I don’t want to take chances of getting pregnant. Thanks!

Guide (reply to sk456)

Hello, sk456.

I'd say the risk is low. How many pills do you have left? It might be better to just finish the course of the pills. Be sure to use another method of birth control whenever you do stop.

Helena

Anonymous

I’ve been taking my birth control all the time and recently I just got to my last pill on January 26th of my pack and my bf ejaculated inside me that day, so now I’m taking the inactive pills. Is there still a chance for me to get pregnant?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

If you have been taking your pills regularly as prescribed, you are protected, even with full intercourse and on inactive days.

Helena

Anonymous

Similar to the original question.

Am I at risk?

I started the pill 2 months ago and I have used it exactly, however this month I was forgetful.

I missed day 10 and 11 of my 28 day pack. I took them immediately when I got the chance then I then missed day 15 and 16 17 and 18 (I went away and forgot the pack) however on day 14 I had unprotected sex. Day 18 I started withdrawel bleeding but 6 days later I'm suppose to start my period. What are my chances?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hello.

Likely low as you had withdrawal bleeding, but when you are late and/or miss that many days of your pills you risk pregnancy generally speaking.

Helena

Anonymous

Hello, I'm going to ask a stupid question... How long does the sperm lasts while you're on he pill? Is it still 5 days?

Hello Anon

This is the same question as the original question - you can scroll down for answers.
But yes, the lifespan of sperm is still the same, it's just that the woman isn't fertile.

Anonymous

I’m currently on the pill however I had unprotected sex on Friday night and an due to stop taking my pill on Tuesday (which is 4 days apart) should I continue with the pill to avoid pregnancy as sperm can survive for 5 days or should I stop taking it as normal?

Hello Anon

You can stop taking it as normal. You are still protected on your inactive days, whether or not you have sex or had sex the week before.