Q: 

I have had severely sensitive nipples ever since puberty and can't stand to be touched or where clothing without a tightly secured bra on underneath. It ruins my life and has prevented me from having a healthy relationship for years. What can I do?

By April 26, 2011 - 12:29pm

The feeling is very uncomfortable, like an itch/tickle and often combined with painful tenderness in my whole breast area. No doctors have been able to help me find any successful solutions to this point. Sone days I feel almost suicidal because it's an awful and yet seemingly small problem that interferes with my whole life and holds me back from enjoying my life on a number of levels. I get no relief from the sensitivity ever. When it feels the worst, I have to wear bandaids over my nipples to prevent as much friction as possible. Please help me find a solution to this issue that has been plaguing me for the last 15 years. I'm desperate.

Anonymous

I know this is an okd post, but did anyone find any real relief?? Ive been dealing with this for 7 years. No one knows why and I am about at my wits end...

Anonymous

I wish I would have seen this in 2011. It seems as if Rosa already posted about the herb here, but I'll still share my story in case someone missed what Rosa said.
Hi,

I was a little embarrassed to share, but my girlfriend convinced me that I may help others by posting. I was having the same issue where the nipples were too sensitive to touch. If someone slightly grazed me, I would jump. They felt like it was being tickled. Sometimes even touching them myself would be too much. It was extremely frustrating during intimacy. Sometimes I would get angry with my partner. The nipples could only be touched when I was really excited or I would be turned off.

This occurred strangely in my early 20's and lasted until now 5-6 years later. I have not had any surgeries, I have not had any children and when I visit the doctor everything looks "normal". The doctors could not help me, and most people don't quite understand when you try to explain it.

I started trying different supplements and herbs, and I finally found one that works for me. I wanted to wait it out before I posted anywhere. It has been over a month of "testing" and I am back to normal I could cry. I am a real person with a real problem, so please don't think I'm advertising for a product. I tried an herb called "Vitex" or chasteberry in capsule form. It is supposed to balance out your hormones. It also brings down your menstrual cycle faster, and makes some women more fertile -- so just warning on that.

Please do your research if you decide to take the herb. Also, please consult with your doctor. I do not think anyone can give medical advice on here. I just wanted to post about what has finally worked for me after many years of frustration. I hope I help someone.

Thank you SO much for that.
My daughter is struggling. You helped me REALLY understand what she's going through❤ I will reseach the herbs. I will keep u posted.

Anonymous

Have any of you ever tried what is called Desenitization???

I'm not sure which "anonymous" person you are asking (since so many of us are) ;) but I have tried desensitization but I really can't do it because it makes me nautious.

Anonymous

I have also dealt with this since I developed ...about 30 years. It affects my daily life. I was wondering if the nerves could be severed to stop it. I know a surgical procedure is a big deal but I'm willing to do anything at this point.

I'm thinking of surgery as well. it makes me feel horrible and I just want to cry. and no man understands.

Anonymous

I feel your pain. I've had similar/same issue since I was 19 (right after birth of first child) - I'm 33 now. My breasts don't usually hurt (unless around cycles/pregnancies) but my nipples are ALWAYS sensitive to the point of pain. I can't let the shower hit them directly, can't sleep without wireless bra/sleep bra, can NEVER go without support(bra) and have had serious issues in love life because it hurts to be touched so no fun there. I've tried no caffeine, I'm gluten&dairy free, and I take a daily vitamin.... I can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about this. There aren't even any health articles about it. The only answers I ever see are hormones (which would allow for periods of relief when changed), and breastfeeding.... I'm about to start trying a nipple numbing cream I found online... we'll see how that works. PLEASE let me know if you find out ANYTHING. It really is a nightmare to deal with. :/

I'm just curious if you ever found help. I too have had this problem for 20 years and have found no answers. Doctors are completely clueless. Tested me for all sorts of things and find nothing. I have been on diets, done accupunture, tried medications, creams. Nothing has helped and it has only gotten worse. So if anyone has found any kind of help I would be grateful to know where. Thank you.

Anonymous (reply to the_beav23)

I have also suffered from severe to extreme breast pain in both breast for over six years. It has basically ended my life. I have lost my business, friends, associates and have been bedridden for most of the last six years and almost completely bedridden for the last 2 years. I have seen many doctors and taken many tests but doctors seem unfamiliar with my symptoms and mostly disinterested. I have spent my life savings on medical tests and co-pays and living expenses over the last six years so I am very limited when it comes to spending more money on more medical tests and co-pays. To start over again with new doctors will mean taking all of the same tests all over again since it's been over a year since I've had most medical tests.

My breast pain is real and can't be solved with 10-15 minute doctor's appointments and basic test. I was healthly with no previously diagnosed health problems before the breast pain started in 2005. Until that time I had very little experience with doctors. I have been shocked by the lack of interest and the lack of compassion that I have experienced from doctors. It seems that since I don't have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, heart problems or any other common ailment, doctors don't know how to help me. It's very sad to known that anyone can suffer from the kind of pain that I experience everyday without being able to find even one doctor who cares enough to take some extra time to help to resolve this issue.

Someone referred me to this site today and I think it's a great resource to find help and/or support. I hope that anyone suffering from breast pain similar to what I have experienced for over 6 years can find help here.

Evening Primrose Oil is something that I have read might help but it didn't help much for me. Calcium, Vitamin D, and Omega 3's are other supplements/herbs that I have read might help.

Good luck in your search for help and relief from your pain.

A compassionate reader who shares your pain...

Tags:

Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide