Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

My leg hurts and I have IC...any connection?

By Anonymous April 19, 2010 - 5:07pm
Rate This

I have IC and it started with slight testicular pain. then moved to pain with ejaculation, and then back pain. Now I'm finding it difficult to walk because the area behind my left leg (where the tendon connects to the uppermost portion of the calf) aches, pops and, overall, just feels unpleasant. Docs say that exercise will help, but exercise only makes my leg feel worse. I'm not sure if the leg pain is some joint problem or the result of IC. If anyone has had similar symptoms, please let me know what I can do.

Add a Comment6 Comments

Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Anon - You have already found a resource to help you better understand how to deal with IC. Please go to our main community page on Interstitial Cystitis, which you can find at https://www.empowher.com/condition/interstitial-cystitis/definition

Look at the left side of the page where you will see information categories such as "Treatments" and "News and Opinion." Click on those categories to pull up articles and videos.

Additionally, this link to an article from American Family Physician also includes data on how to cope with IC and reduce symptoms: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/1001/p1212.html

Researching information for yourself and working with your doctors will help. Let us know how your appointments go and good luck! Pat

September 6, 2010 - 12:57pm

Hi Anonymous

I am assuming by IC you mean interstitial cycstitis, so please correct me if I am wrong. We have information about IC here on the site: https://www.empowher.com/media/reference/interstitial-cystitis-0

I have questions:

What type of doctor are you seeing, as in what specialty?
Have you seen an orthopaedic doctor?

What diagnosis have you been given for that leg issue? Popping near a tendon insertion does not sound like something that is related to interstitial cystitis. It sounds like an orthopaedic problem. If it is causing problems with your gait and your function, it could put other body parts out of whack. For instance, if you are limping on your right leg, that can strain your left hip or your lower back, etc.

If you haven't already, I would suggest seeing an orthopod. I would also suggest a little physical therapy if the doc feels it appropriate, so that you know exactly what exercises and stretching you should be doing for this, and how to know when it isn't resolving and needs a second look.

I hope this helps. Please write again with more detail if you would like to discuss this further.

April 20, 2010 - 8:30am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Cary Cook BSN RN)

I was just diagnosed with IC and my right leg hurts too. i also have problems with my calves hurting and popping. i think it's connected to the IC. I was told I might have to be watched for Bright's Disease as an adult. Now my urologist says he doesn't even know what it is. I know it's a term for a collection of symptoms so surely he should have a clue. All i know is my back hurts, my bladder is inflamed, I have to use the bathroom all of the time and sometimes hardly anything comes out but the urgency is painful. I wake up about 6 times a night to use the bathroom.

September 3, 2010 - 1:52pm
(reply to Anonymous)

Hi Again Anon:

Bright's disease is an old fashioned term, so if your doctor is younger he may not be familiar with it as it is not commonly used in medicine any longer. Now it is more likely to be referred to as chronic nephritis or another more specific term rather than Bright's disease.

If your urologist is at a loss, I suggest you see a nephrologist. That is a kidney specialist, and if the problem is renal rather than just a urological issue, you are likely to get more satisfaction and answers.

Are you able to see a nephrologist? Or do you have to jump through referral hoops?

September 6, 2010 - 6:35am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Cary Cook BSN RN)

Yes I can see one and will be calling for one tomorrow.
My pain is keeping me from doing anything normal and I am retaining water. I have all symptoms of Bright's Disease. I have thyroid issues, asthma, back pain, fatigue, vitamin D and B deficiencies... I am really worried. Plus I am bleeding. I am so tired I cannot get up in the mornings. My mind is foggy and I cannot concentrate at work. The pain is so severe to me but my urologist wouldn't give me anything for pain. How am I supposed to function? He only gave me a one sheet flyer for the IC diet. It's so vague, I am scared to eat. If anyone has read a good book about IC and diet please reply and let me know because I don't want to buy one online and it not be helpful. I need more details on foods I can eat. I hope a nephrologist can help me.

September 6, 2010 - 9:36am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Anonymous)

You can go to the ICN website and get a whole booklet to print off of what you can eat cant eat and what you should try. Hope that helps.
Love nicole

June 30, 2017 - 3:35am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Interstitial Cystitis

Get Email Updates

Interstitial Cystitis Guide


Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!