Facebook Pixel

Is There Anything Being Created For My Libido? Michelle King Robson Answers The Question

By Expert HERWriter July 9, 2008 - 10:43am
Rate This


Get access to America's top doctors without making an appointment. Just submit your health questions to women's health advocate and EmpowHer.com's founder Michelle King Robson and your question could get answered. Ask your question by visiting https://www.empowher.com/ask



Hi Michelle:

I recently turned 43-years-old and I really need your help. My sexual drive is non-existent and it's hurting my marriage. We use to have a fabulous love life. My husband is on "the little blue pill" Viagra, but that helps his ability to perform…is anything being created for my libido? Please help!


Mesa, Arizona


Hi Jackie,

Thank you for asking. Unfortunately, it's been 10 years since Viagra was introduced and still there isn't anything on the market for women's libido. But I do have some very good news.

On your behalf, I contacted the guru of women's sexual medicine, Dr. Irwin Goldstein, from San Diego Sexual Medicine, who was in South Africa when he responded to your questions.

Dr. Goldstein explained, right now there's a pill called Flibanserin, made by Boehringer Ingelheim, and it's in the final steps of phase III clinical trials, which is the step before FDA approval. Dr. Goldstein wanted you to know, "This pill centrally acts on the brain to regulate monoamine neurotransmitters, which decreases serotonin, increases dopamine and increases norepinephrine and thus facilitates sexual interest in women, like Jackie, who has HSDD (Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder)."

What that really means Jackie1965 is this new drug works directly on the pleasure zones of a woman's brain to restore her diminished libido.

Dr. Goldstein also suggested it should take 6-12 months to get approval by the FDA, but I wouldn't hold my breath because there are many women's sexual health drugs pending with the FDA. Viagra, for example, only took six months to get approved, but that's for men.

My suggestion Jackie1965 is you really should get your hormone levels checked. It's time for you to get a great doctor that's well versed in women's hormone levels. You might have to ask around to your girl friends until you find the perfect one, but it's worth the research. Once I got my estrogen up to a normal range and then introduced some compounded testosterone cream, prescribed and designed specifically for me, my libido problems improved dramatically.

Best of health,


*ASK your health question by visiting: https://www.empowher.com/ask

EmpowHer.com is an ASK & SHARE women's online health community where women ASK personal health questions and other women SHARE what they've discovered.

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Sex & Relationships

Get Email Updates

Resource Centers

Sex & Relationships Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!