Facebook Pixel

Trigonitis and Diathermy

By October 8, 2009 - 12:54pm
Rate This

Hi girls! I was diagnosed with trigonitis in August 09 (symptoms started August 08) and my urologist performed Diathermy. Has anyone had this done? Its where the urologist goes inside and burns the trigone to deaden the skin and new healthy skin is supposed to regrow?? I really dont feel it has made any difference to my symptoms, infact some times i think it is worse as it is impossible to have sex now whereas i could sometimes have it before. Anyway im on antibiotics (6weeks low dose post surgery and 4 weeks high dose after that) but still no change at all. The urologist said he was fairly confident this would all be cleared up in 6 weeks but its now 9 weeks... I'm waiting to get another appointment with him.

Also does anyone have a swollen pelvic area (as in it feels hard and swollen to the touch below your tummy)? Hate the way there is so little info on this!! My doc says it does go away it just takes time but I'm struggling to stay positive.

I also had vulvar pain to begin with and then developed chronic pelvic pain in surrounding muscles. I am ontop of the pelvic pain however as i found a very good physiotherapist to help explain what i can do to get out of pain and the vulvar pain did actually go away with time by itself and a little accunpuncture (8 months approx) so there is hope there

Would love to hear from others and their experiences especially anyone who has had diathermy performed?!


Mary xx

Add a Comment7 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

I had that treatment and it didn't work.

What helped me was stop eating milk and meat.

When I was diagnosed, my syntoms where so severe that the doctor though I had kidney stones! That was 4 years ago. Today, I have no syntoms, as long as I stay away from meat and liquid milk. I want to be clear: I have no syntoms at all.

October 22, 2012 - 5:26pm
Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Hi Eliz92757 - Happy to listen, anytime. I'm glad to hear you have a great primary care doctor, that makes a world of difference. I have a great one too.
In terms on the chills you experienced, when a bladder infection spreads to the kidneys it can cause chills...and it can also cause a fever. Here's a link with a lot of helpful information: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000521.htm

It might be helpful to join a local support group where you can talk with others in person and not only get support but help give it as well. I found a list online that has a wide variety of groups. One that struck me that you might like was: Uniquely Woman: Counseling/support group for women meets at 6 p.m. each Mon., 1900 Church St., Suite 300. $10 per session. 321-4200. Will you give the list a look? http://lindaarbaughpatin.com/supportgroups.html#p

May 12, 2010 - 5:41pm
Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Hi Eliz92757 - After 53 years of bladder problems I think most of us would be sick of it all too. I'm concerned about your statement that you feel your doctor doesn't listen to you, and that you have not seen a physician since September 2009. Have you given up? Do you need support or ideas on how to get your current doctor to listen to you? Do you want to change physicians? What city/state are you in?

In other words, how can we help? Pat

May 3, 2010 - 5:20pm
(reply to Pat Elliott)

Hi Pat Elliott,
I don't see any reason to change my doctor, for all the other doctors I've been to for the bladder problems never seemed to listen either. One thing I don't understand for a year I had chills every day and I was checked for infection many times during that time for infection, but when I went in the hospital for surgery my doctor told my husband I had a very bad bladder infection. I had taken antibotics every day as well. I had to take three bags of anitbotics through the iv. After that I didn't have any chills for a good while. I've been told by a primary care doctor my doctor is one of the best in Nashville Tennessee. To tell you the truth I don't know what to do. I've lived my life mostly in pain. I struggle to babysit with my young granddaughters, and it's hard to do the things I love to do. I guess I just wanted to hear how others live with this problem, and if there's something that would help. Thank you for listening to all this.

May 12, 2010 - 2:09am

I'm a newbe here. I've had bladder problems since I was 14 years and now I'm 67, so that is 53 years. I had dilations for 18 years, because I couldn't empty my bladder. MY bladder has torn 3 times from not empting. I moved out of state and stopped the dilations, and gradually got well. For 13 years without any bladder problems. Then I had hysterectomy in 98. I had a fibroid tumer the size of a volley ball, and it layed across my belly, so the doctor had to cut my womb across in three places. He also cut the tubes or whatever they are named from the kidney to the bladder. I left the hospital with and infection, and couldn't empty my bladder. I've had problems ever since. In 2002 or 2003 Dr. K put medicine inside my bladder that was suppost to peal off the lining to grow a new linning, he never put a name to what I had then. It didn't work. I had posterior repair after that another doctor. Then in 2005 Dr. K finally told me I had trigonitis. He put a bladder cocktail inside my bladder to peal it off again. I thought I would die, and he would not give me any pain pills! Heparin SOD 500/ML.INJ—blood thinning medicine,Gentamicin 40MG/ML.INJ—antibiotic used to treat serious bacterial infections,SOD Bicarb 8.4% INJ-- sodium bicarbonate-this is to help get to the lining of the bladder,Marcaine 0.5% INJ--antibiotic,Solu-Cortef 100MG Mill—hydrocortisone.
That was October 2008. It didn't help at all. Then Dr. K did surgery urethral support sling/mesh and rectocele/mesh February 2009. I didn't leak for almost a year, but now I have no control when my bladder gets full at night. The last time I went to Dr. k he put me on Sanctura XR 60 mg. Since he ran that whatever over my belly and I wasn't holding any urine he thought my bladder was empting, but there are many times I can't empty, and I told him. I took it for over a week, and I didn't hurt as much, but then I got where I was only trickling pee. I stopped the pills, and I have not been back to him, and that was September 2009. I'm taking Trimethoprim 100 mg one every night, and Phenazopyridine 200mg one every morning. I feel he doesn't listen to me. I'm sick of it all.

(Note: Physician name removed by EmpowHER Moderator)

May 3, 2010 - 10:54am
Expert HERWriter Guide Blogger

Hello Mary, and thanks for writing. You're right, it is hard to find a lot of information on trigonitis, and that just adds to the frustration in dealing with it.

The trigone is a small, smooth triangular region at the base of the bladder that signals the brain when the bladder needs to be emptied. As the bladder becomes more full, the trigone increases the urgency of the signals to the brain.

In trigonitis, inflammatory lesions form on the trigone region, causing symptoms of urgency, frequency and pain.

Trigonitis is diagnosed much more often in women (usually of childbearing age) than in men. About 40% of women may have some squamous changes in the trigone, where it happens in only 5% of men. It is almost never diagnosed in children.

You mentioned that antibiotics were prescribed. Here is a doctor's forum from the IC association with a lot of questions and answers you may be interested in. There is one specific inquiry about trigonitis (check the 11th question) that discusses the use of antibiotics for treatment.


There are also a few questions here that address trigonitis:


Here are some women in a naturopathic network who are discussing trigonitis:

Hope this helps! In the meantime, is there anyone else out there who's been diagnosed with trigonitis? If so, we'd love to hear from you.

Take good care,

October 8, 2009 - 6:05pm
(reply to Pat Elliott)

Hi Pat,
I am a 31yr old from NZ, and have been diagnosed with trigonitis (have had problems since I was a teenager). The doctor says there is nothing I can do about it.
Is tiredness one of the symptoms of this? The pain I can put up with but am having trouble with coping with being really tired causing difficulty with working all day. If it is a symptom do you know what I could do to help this?
Also my urine tests always show haematuria, is there anything I can do to reduce this as I can not get insurance because of it.

Thank you, much appreciated.

April 1, 2014 - 10:17pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Sexual Health

Get Email Updates

Resource Centers

Related Checklists

Sexual Health Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!