Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

What's best treatment for Hunner's bladder lesions?

By Anonymous March 20, 2015 - 8:48am
Rate This

Add a Comment1 Comments


Hello Anonymous,

Welcome to EmpowHER and thank you for inquiring about treatment options for Hunner's bladder lesions.

Hunner's ulcers, also called "Hunner’s lesions" or "Hunner's patches," are a subtype of interstitial cystitis. They are not ulcers in the usual sense.

Rather, they are distinctive areas of inflammation on the bladder wall. Hunner’s ulcers are the one diagnostic feature that will confirm the diagnosis of interstitial cystitis.

Three treatment options include:

Fulguration, which involves "burning off" the ulcers by using a special instrument with a heated tip or a laser technique.

Resection of ulcers by cutting around and removing the ulcers from the bladder wall.

A submucosal injection of a steroid , such as triamcinolone, into the ulcer. Although still being researched, this procedure can be safer and may prove to be as effective as the other two.

You should always discuss available treatments with your doctor, and together choose the one that is best for you.


March 20, 2015 - 9:09am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Interstitial Cystitis

Get Email Updates

Interstitial Cystitis Guide


Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!