Did you know that 30 percent of men in their 50s have testosterone levels low enough to cause the symptoms of andropause? A few moments with the ADAM questionnaire (Androgen Deficiency in the Aging Male) can help you see determine if you may be suffering the symptoms of andropause:
1. Do you have a decrease in libido (sex drive)?
2. Do you have a lack of energy?
3. Do you have a decrease in strength and/or endurance?
4. Have you lost height?
5. Have you noticed a decreased ‘enjoyment of life’?
7. Are your erections less strong?
8. Have you noticed a recent deterioration in your ability to play sports?
9. Are you falling asleep after dinner?
10. Has there been a recent deterioration in your work performance?
(The ADAM Questionnaire was adapted from Morley, JE. J Gend Specif Med. 2001;4:49-53.)
If you answered yes to even a few of these questions, balancing your hormone levels may be just what the doctor ordered to restore your vitality, a more youthful appearance and get you back to you.
What is andropause? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-ojcQsonY
There is so much press on hormones for women, but no one is really looking at men’s hormones. Women and men’s hormones decline as they age, however, because of our lifestyles and the amount of stress we deal with, our diets and poor fitness habits, we are seeing this decline happen even more rapidly. Age-related symptoms including loss of hair, memory, muscle mass and libido, along with behavior changes that have more commonly been linked to ‘Midlife Crisis’, are often the result of andropause, the male menopause. Fortunately, we can test hormone levels to help determine if testosterone replacement through bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is the answer.
Alicia Stanton, M.D. Chief Medical Officer of BodyLogicMD