Facebook Pixel

What is a Tilted Uterus?

By HERWriter
Rate This

Most people have heard of a tilted uterus. But what exactly is it?

According to WebMD, a tilted uterus describes the angle of the body of the uterus. In approximately 60 percent of women, the uterine body angles forward in the direction of the abdomen in what is called an "anteflexed" or forward position. For the remaining 40 percent, the uterine body curves backward toward the tailbone and rectum in a "retroflexed" or tilted position.

Regardless of the terms “anteflexed” or “retroflexed,” both positions are considered normal.

There are several reasons why a uterus can tilt. Sexual intercourse isn’t one of them. The American Pregnancy Association listed the following: As a woman matures, the uterus may not move into a forward position. Childbirth can tip the uterus forward or backward. Or if the ligaments holding the uterus in place stretch, or lose their tension during pregnancy, the uterus can become tipped. Scarring from endometriosis or fibroids can also cause the uterus to shift to a retroflexed state.

PubMed Health also said weakening pelvic ligaments associated with menopause or the enlargement of the uterus from a tumor may cause a tilted uterus.

A tilted uterus rarely causes any symptoms. When it does, they include pain during menstruation or sexual intercourse, and possible tampon difficulty, minor incontinence, or urinary tract infections.

Treatment usually isn’t needed. However sometimes surgery is recommended to reposition the uterus in order to relieve any pain. Uterine repositioning can also be achieved through exercise or by use of a pessary.

Typically the biggest question tied to a tilted uterus is whether or not it affects fertility.

According to Mary Gallenberg, M.D. in a MayoClinic.com article, “It shouldn't interfere with (the) ability to conceive. In the past, it was thought that a tilted uterus may contribute to infertility. But experts now know that the position of the uterus doesn't affect the ability of sperm to reach an egg. Rarely, a sharply tilted uterus may be due to a disease such as endometriosis. In this case, endometriosis — not the position of the uterus — may be a cause of infertility.

Add a CommentComments

There are no comments yet. Be the first one and get the conversation started!

Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Sexual Health

Get Email Updates

Resource Centers

Related Checklists

Sexual Health Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!