After seeing my boyfriend's massive sunburn, I have decided that sunscreen can only go so far.
My boyfriend went tubing last week and was out in the sun for around six hours. He said he was constantly putting on sunscreen (which maybe isn't the whole truth). Regardless of the sunscreen, he got a deep, first-degree (closer to second-degree) burn on his legs and was burned in many other places.
I think it is logical to assume that being out in the sun for that amount of time with straight exposure is not a good idea. I would think that sunscreen would only go so far, since it's just a lotion. More protection, like a hat, umbrella and clothing, is needed.
Unfortunately, not everyone seems to realize this. Even though my boyfriend's other friends didn't get so badly burned, I'm sure the sun still had some negative effects on their skin. I think it may also be true that the lighter a person is, it is easier to get burned in most cases.
Here are some of my tips for being out in the sun for long periods of time:
- Make sure you have an high-SPF sunscreen.
- Bring a hat, umbrella, sunglasses and a light, long-sleeved shirt and long pants to cover up with.
- Make sure to reapply sunscreen every half hour to an hour, depending on how vulnerable you are to getting burned.
- Only stay out for three hours maximum (For example, if you're in the sun and have no other protection, as in tubing).
- Drink a lot of water to prevent dehydration.
- Apply aloe vera ASAP after getting sunburned to speed up the healing process and avoid other severe effects.
- If you are majorly burned, take a cold bath, apply aloe vera and see a doctor if needed.
Although most of this is common sense, I think most people assume that just sunscreen will do the job and it seems like that isn't always the case. Also, it is easy to forget to re-apply sunscreen. Maybe set a timer so you don't forget.