It’s that time of year for vacations at the beach, camping in the mountains and lazy afternoon barbecues. Unfortunately, even the best intentions to enjoy the weather may have a few boo-boos along the way. Here are a few tips for surviving minor incidences a little more naturally…
1) Sunburn: If you were exposed a little too long, the best thing to do is to stay hydrated and soothe pink skin with aloe vera. Either break the leaf of a plant and apply the thick gel or buy aloe vera in a bottle for instant relief.
2) Over-strained muscles: Too much hiking or cleaning out the garage? Try using homeopathic arnica found at any food store in the natural section. Rub the cream onto tired muscles for support. Mix a few drops of lavender essential oil into almond or jojoba oil and gently apply to the area.
3) Bruises: You can also use homeopathic arnica orally and as a cream when you’ve been bumped. Do not apply into broken skin.
4) Insect Repellant: If you aren’t too keen on using bug spray with chemicals, try using natural bug repellants or blending essential oils of citronella, geranium, rosemary, eucalyptus, sage, lavender, pennyroyal and/or tea tree into a spray bottle of water. Shake and apply regularly when outdoors or mix into almond or jojoba oil and rub onto skin.
5) Relief for bug bites: Once you’ve been bitten, apply a drop of peppermint or lavender essential oil onto the bite or place a hot wash cloth to the area. This opens up the circulation and diffuses the histamine reaction out.
6) Overindulgence: A little too much at the barbecue? Chew on some fennel seeds or brew up a tea of fennel, peppermint and chamomile. Let cool and sip slowly. Ginger root or ginger capsules also works well.
7) Sea-sickness: First outing on the boat cause some wooziness? Try chewing on ginger or take ginger capsules before leaving the dock.
8) Swimmer’s ear: Place a few drops of undiluted white vinegar into the ear twice a day for a week.
9) Dehydration: Severe dehydration and heat stroke should seek medical care. If you feel it’s a minor case, mix ¼ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. baking soda, two tbsp. of sugar and five cups of water together.